Houzz Logo Print
ejmoore510_gw

Quote, February 3, 2011

ejmoore510
13 years ago

O mother-my-love, if you'll give me your hand,

And go where I ask you to wander,

I will lead you away to a beautiful land,--

The Dreamland that's waiting out yonder.

We'll walk in a sweet posie-garden out there,

Where moonlight and starlight are streaming,

And the flowers and the birds are filling the air

With the fragrance and music of dreaming.

There'll be no little tired-out boy to undress,

No questions or cares to perplex you,

There'll be no little bruises or bumps to caress,

Nor patching of stockings to vex you;

For I'll rock you away on a silver-dew stream

And sing you asleep when you're weary,

And no one shall know of our beautiful dream

But you and your own little dearie.

And when I am tired I'll nestle my head

In the bosom that's soothed me so often,

And the wide-awake stars shall sing, in my stead,

A song which our dreaming shall soften.

So, Mother-my-Love, let me take your dear hand,

And away through the starlight we'll wander,--

Away through the mist to the beautiful land,--

The Dreamland that's waiting out yonder.

Child and mother by Eugene Field

Comments (7)

• mawheel
    13 years ago

What a sweet poem; I'm sure most mothers would like to be lead away to Dreamland at some time or other, but wouldn't want to stay there.

EJ, the poems you've quoted are beautiful, but most of them make me feel sad. My emotions are very near the surface, lately.

• ejmoore510
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm sorry if I've contributed to your sadness. To tell the truth, I'm having a somewhat melancholy week myself. This week's quotes are in honor of my oldest child, my only son, who will turn 30 years old on Sunday, the 6th. It seems like only yesterday that I was holding him in my arms after he was born. I can see those tiny grasping fingers and smell that newborn smell. I can feel the outright terror again that I might inadvertently do something wrong, and harm this tiny miniature human being who has suddenly become the center of my whole universe. I slept with my arm over in his bassinet every night, just barely touching him, in fear I wouldn't hear him if he woke, or God forbid, if he stopped breathing or was sick! How can that be thirty years ago? Surely, I just closed my eyes and blinked?
    Truthfully, life is not JUST all happy, carefree, joyful events, but woven like a web,with the bittersweet, sad, mournful moments as well.

• oscarthecat
    13 years ago

Just yesterday, EJ, just yesterday. Steve in Baltimore County.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

We have three children. Two boys and a girl. The baby is a girl. I don't know who freaked out more about her turning 30yo, her or me. A new chapter began and next year ds#1 has a big birthday, year after ds#2 has a big birthday, two years from now dd has a big birthday. But we are all here to celebrate together.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

We have three children. Two boys and a girl. The baby is a girl. I don't know who freaked out more about her turning 30yo, her or me. A new chapter began and next year ds#1 has a big birthday, year after ds#2 has a big birthday, two years from now dd has a big birthday. But we are all here to celebrate together.

• lilod
    13 years ago

My oldest daughter was a three pound preemie, born in the post-war destruction in Germany, she turned out well and healthy and is collecting Social Security how did this happen? I am NOT that old, am I?
    I think they are creeping up on me :>))

• mawheel
    13 years ago

My Mother always used to tell us, once we were adults and had a birthday, "You'd better be careful; you're going to catch up with me one of these days!" Fortunately for us, she lived till she was 83; I'm not there, yet, but--God willing--expect to be in a few years, and yes, then I will have "caught up with her".

P.S. My "not there, yet" isn't that far in the future! :>)

Sponsored
More Discussions