Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

quotes 2 -5 -13

User
11 years ago

On this day in history.

"Feb 5, 1957:
The American Invasion begins, as Bill Haley and the Comets storm Britain

Back home in the United States, Bill Haley and the Comets were already passe. Their role in launching the rock-and-roll revolution was unquestioned, but it had been almost two years since "Rock Around the Clock" exploded on the scene, and in the meantime, a certain young man from Memphis had come along and changed the rules of the game. Elvis Presley, with his good looks and world-altering charisma, had made it nearly impossible for a slightly paunchy 30-year-old like Bill Haley to compete in the youth market in the United States. But Bill Haley and the Comets weren't in the United States on this day in 1957-they were in England, disembarking from the Queen Elizabeth at Southampton and preparing to launch the first European tour ever by a major American rock-and-roll act.

When Haley and his band reached London's Waterloo Station later that same day, mayhem ensued. Thousands of fans formed a crush at the station to greet the group in a raucous display the press dubbed "the Second Battle of Waterloo." For the generation of war babies just becoming teenagers in Great Britain, Haley's tour offered the first chance to see a real, live rock-and-roll show. Those shows made a particularly strong impression on certain members of that generation who would go on to change the course of music history.

"The birth of rock 'n' roll for me?" said Pete Townshend several decades later, "Seeing Bill Haley and The Comets....God, that band swung!"

"The first time I really ever felt a tingle up my spine was when I saw Bill Haley and The Comets on the telly," said Paul McCartney. "Then I went to see them live. The ticket was 24 shillings, and I was the only one of my mates who could go as no one else had been able to save up that amount. But I was single-minded about it....I knew there was something going on here."

"I've still got the ticket stub in my wallet from when I went to see Bill Haley and the Comets play in Manchester in February 1957-my first-ever concert" said Graham Nash. "Over the years I've lost houses...I've lost wives...but I've not lost that ticket stub. It's that important to me."

So there was an American invasion of Great Briton before there was a British invasion of America in the rock music era.

Bill Haley and the Comets may have aged out of rock-and-roll stardom back home, but they were greeted as heroes on this day in 1957 by a nation where rock and roll was just starting to explode."

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

If music be the food of love, play on.
William Shakespeare

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.
Plato

I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water.
Ray Charles

Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

edited to add link

Here is a link that might be useful: The American Invasion begins, as Bill Haley and the Comets storm Britain

This post was edited by don_socal on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 19:35

Comments (2)

• oscarthecat
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Don iwas totally unaware of Buddy Holley,Bill Haley and others. there were a few things by The Beatles and Elvis Presley. So I guess you will have to put me down as a dweeb.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not a dweeb, just not your high point. Two days before but two years later was a sad day for rock and roll music...

" Feb 3, 1959:
    The day the music died

On this day in 1959, rising American rock stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson are killed when their chartered Beechcraft Bonanza plane crashes in Iowa a few minutes after takeoff from Mason City on a flight headed for Moorehead, Minnesota. Investigators blamed the crash on bad weather and pilot error. Holly and his band, the Crickets, had just scored a No. 1 hit with "That'll Be the Day."

After mechanical difficulties with the tour bus, Holly had chartered a plane for his band to fly between stops on the Winter Dance Party Tour. However, Richardson, who had the flu, convinced Holly's band member Waylon Jennings to give up his seat, and Ritchie Valens won a coin toss for another seat on the plane.

Holly, born Charles Holley in Lubbock, Texas, and just 22 when he died, began singing country music with high school friends before switching to rock and roll after opening for various performers, including Elvis Presley. By the mid-1950s, Holly and his band had a regular radio show and toured internationally, playing hits like "Peggy Sue," "Oh, Boy!," "Maybe Baby" and "Early in the Morning." Holly wrote all his own songs, many of which were released after his death and influenced such artists as Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney.

Another crash victim, J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, 28, started out as a disk jockey in Texas and later began writing songs. Richardson's most famous recording was the rockabilly "Chantilly Lace," which made the Top 10. He developed a stage show based on his radio persona, "The Big Bopper."

The third crash victim was Ritchie Valens, born Richard Valenzuela in a suburb of Los Angeles, who was only 17 when the plane went down but had already scored hits with "Come On, Let's Go," "Donna" and "La Bamba," an upbeat number based on a traditional Mexican wedding song (though Valens barely spoke Spanish). In 1987, Valens' life was portrayed in the movie La Bamba, and the title song, performed by Los Lobos, became a No. 1 hit. Valens was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001.

Singer Don McLean memorialized Holly, Valens and Richardson in the 1972 No. 1 hit "American Pie," which refers to February 3, 1959 as "the day the music died.""

Here is a link that might be useful: The day the music died

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions