Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Anyone know how to write a song?

rob333 (zone 7b)
11 years ago

I have the words, but getting meter right is hard for me in poetry, and consequently, a song the LF and I are writing. I don't know why we want to do this, but we do. Any pointers?

Comments (8)

• User
    11 years ago

Recite the words with emphasis on different parts of each phrase to see what brings your emotion, intent and purpose out of the words. Play with the sentences and a tune may emerge.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cool! Thanks Don! I figured y'all will know. I've already changed it around so that there are the same number of syllables in each line of each stanza and it's emerging.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LF read what I'd re-written and said, I know how it goes! Sure enough, he did and could repeat it. I guess if you've got it you've got it. I sure don't have it. I'm betting you're like that Don. I'm going to record his melody and see if we can get someone who plays piano to help us out, by writing it down as they play and so we can repeat the performance. I'm excited!

;)

• coconut_nj
    11 years ago

Robin that sounds like so much fun. Good for LF. What a kid. Can't wait to hear it when it's finished...smiles.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Go for it, Robin and LF.

DH plays the piano and knows how to read music, he always wanted to be able to write a song, but no song.

DS took up the guitar at age 50+, he is learning cords, and plans to write a song.
    Perhaps DH and DS can get together and create music.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

edited to answer coconut (because I am having to read and reread and reread with the new format.) I can't believe you'd ever hear the song. It's a contemporary Christian song. heh. Likely, only to be played in our church. But, I am betting, it'll go out online via Livefeed when it is played by the worship team and LF singing it. Me sing? NEVER! Mediocre. Highly mediocre. Not awful, not great. Mommy says otherwise, but I'm not interested to hear what others think :/

Tell him to go for it west! Honestly, I don't want to write songs. It's what I've been charged to do and I accept it, but I'd rather write other stuff. Just this once. I think.

That is one advantage of living in "Music City"; everyone comes here to make and sell their music, so musicians abound. Three people at church said, send it to me and I'll write the guitar cords/piano music for it. I wish I knew how they did it though. And, I wish I knew how LF heard what was in my head since I couldn't even get it out. I guess it's not the part I was meant to play in all of this!

This post was edited by rob333 on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 8:28

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Good for you Robin, creating something new is a challenge, but it opens up the mind, be proud

• User
    11 years ago

Used to talk in rhymes with my sisters when we were kids as a challenge to see who could keep it up the longest, sort of a Dr. Seuss thing. Got very silly at times but was a learning thing.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio
More Discussions