Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
O.K., I know what it is but

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 11:02

what do the words mean. I know Mardi Gras is the last day before Lent and today is Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday, take your pick, but what do the words Mardi and Gras mean?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: O.K., I know what it is but

I think it means fat tuesday

o
literal translation

I speak Spanish and grasa means fat, and Martes means Tuesday. So, it sounds like a literal translation. Mardi is Tuesday and Gras is fat.

o

Yup, it is exactly French for "Fat Tuesday."

o

Which means that you can have your last day of "fat" or other good stuff before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. That's when you are supposed to give up all the good stuff and think about what's coming on Good Friday.

Isn't is weird that some religious celebrations have become secular events!!

o

And vice-versa agnes. I kinda like the fluidity.

:)

o

A German word for Mardi Gras/Shrove Tuesday is Fastnacht, the night before fasting.

o

Today is my last chance to eat chocolate.

o

Our community was home for very many German immigrants both in the early days of its settling, and on up past the early 1900s. We had two German language newspapers, and two Catholic Churches. One was called the English Catholic Church and one the German Catholic Church. It's sermons and records were kept in German for a lot of years. In these days of Political correctness :-) they're both known by their actual names, but one can tell by the last names of the members which was which.........still. I'm wandering from the topic............I meant to address fastnacht. It's a term I've heard since I can remember. It's the term my folks always used for those fat, filled pastries, prolly because they were made on fat tuesday to use up lard. The name just stuck in the local vernacular for the pastry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here