Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

Any long-time Partiers recall Pinky the Traveling Flamingo?

weedlady
12 years ago

Due to a number of life style changes and several moves over the last 15 or so years, I have not checked out the Garden Party in a LONNNGG time. There still must be some folks around from that time... :-) I tried doing a forums-wide search but found no reference to Pinky (or Pinkie, either).

Anyway, back in the mid-1990s, someone started a plastic garden flamingo on a journey, and "Pinky" began an around-the-world adventure to Partiers all over. People could put their names on a waiting list and eventually Pinky would arrive at their door in a box along with her travel journa. Photos of her adventures would be posted somewhere, or go into the box with her.

A new friend has invited me to a Flamingo Party, which set me to wondering if any are still in this forum that enjoyed a visit from Pinky. As for me, I have a big box of unsorted photos in a cardboard box I just brought down from the attic. I need to find my Pinky photos to take to the party March 3!

Comments (8)

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

I was not a member then, just reading once in a while, but I remember the Flamingo. No idea what happened to it.

• don_socal
    12 years ago

Here is a post from 2008 that mentions pinkie and also has some pictures. Many popped into this thread that have not been seen for some time.

Here is a link that might be useful: What happened to the old GP days?

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Oh, I sure remember Pinky, as I recall, the last sighting was in Australia.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Australia?! The original Pinkie? Will it come back here? That flamingo is also "before my time", but any die hard GPartier knows about it.

I hope it shows up for your party!

• calliope
    12 years ago

Of course I remember Pinkie. She stayed with us for two weeks, as I dragged her pink carcass over over the county taking pictures of her. Her baby was named Dianthus. Pinkie went to visit down under and never returned. It may have been "FOWL" play. LOL

• lindac
    12 years ago

Another Pinkie rememberer....but never a host. I think Pinkie went to a gt once or twice....
    I still have a flamingo sweater bought with Pinky in mind and worn to a GT or so...
    Saw it in a spare closet and thought I really should get rid of that.....then thought...naaah!! LOL!

• weedlady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am "tickled pink" that Pinkie is still in the hearts & minds of some of us! LOL
    A special thanks to don_socal for the link, "What happened to the old GP days?" Wow, what a stroll down memory lane! Neat to hear some of the names of folks I still remember, and have a bit of an update on where they are now.
    I had drifted away from the gang before Dicken passed on to the Eternal Garden...so sad to read that.

Spent the better part of a morning going thru the box of old photos I have but found only a few pictures of Pinky. I had taken her to a Civil War re-enactment on our little town in SW PA where she met with the brave nurses that traveled with the troops. Among the photos I had was one of her on a makeshift table with a nurse in costume dressing a "wound" on Pinkie's leg. :-) Had another one of Pinkie being held by a slightly bemused modern-day EMT that was also there, and of course several pics of her among the various pink flowers in my garden. Unfortunately, I found none of these better pictures. Cannot imagine where I put them for "safe-keeping" but someday when I least expect it I imagine they will surface!

Anyway, thanks to those of you who responded, and for the pleasant nostalgia trip! Best wishes to all GPers for a terrific gardening year. CK

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Well, I sure am glad I stopped in for a quick visit and discovered this post! What a wonderful trip down memory lane!

Loved reading the older post, too. I'm happy to report that Robert and I are doing great! It seems like he took pictures of Pinky during her ill-fated visit with him...I'll see if he can resurrect them.

Love to you all...and I'll be sure to post more often.

Dorie

Sponsored
More Discussions