And a gray mist on the sea's face, and gray dawn breaking,

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide

Is a wild call and clear call that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying,

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,

To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;

And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,

And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Sea Fever by John Masefield

Comments (17)

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

I love that poem, one of the few English ones I know by heart.

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Yes I miss my sailing on the Chesapeake Bay.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

I luv that poem and I understand longing to be on the water. These days I'm dreaming of a quiet lake and a row boat. My grandfather used to take me fishing on the lakes in Norway. He showed me how to put the oars in the water with a minimum of ripples or sound, so not to scare the fish or disturb the quiet of the morning.

oscarthecat, my experience on Chesapeake Bay was with power boats. This was near DC and VA. We would go from DC and stop at small islands for picnics, then head on to a bunch of inlets, do a u turn here and there and check out more islands and inlets.
    Where did you sail on Chesapeake Bay?

• User
    12 years ago

Thank you EJ. Good poem full of desire for the freedom of the wind and waves.

• mwoods
    12 years ago

I need to get back to the water.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

My mom used to tell me that poem when I was little. We're all ocean lovers on that side of the family. Thank you!

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Video

Here is a link that might be useful: water

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

I've been thinking about the poem you posted, ejmoore. I come from a long line of "water people".
    I came across a book,
    "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" I was able to read part of of the first chapter on the net, I liked it and ordered the book in hope that I can understand the draw that the water had on some of my relatives.
    Anyone read that book?

• shilty
    12 years ago

If I remember correctly, that one was read at one of the Kennedy funerals... perhaps John John. Seems that Ted Kennedy read it..

And at his funeral, someone admitted he was a landlubber that got pressed to crew Ted's sailboat in a race, never on a boat in his life.

Along our southern coasts, the sea is mostly a sweet and pleasurable friend... but on our northern shores, it is more demanding,

• ejmoore510
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've read it. It's very beautiful!
    My Dad took me out fishing with him from the time
    I was very small. I can sit in a boat on the water all day and be happy. So soothing.

• User
    12 years ago

Water, water, everywhere but nary a drop to drink. Used to be able to recite quite a bit of that one.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

I've heard the saying, "Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink".
    I've also heard/seen the term, "an albatross around my neck". I had no idea that the sayings came from the old poem. Live and learn.
    I can see why the Kennedy people selected part of that poem,some of them were water people, especially Ted.

• lindac
    12 years ago

West Gardner....I hope you "get" that the poem is called the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.....as in sea salt and frost encrusted.And.....so much symbolism...what does the albatross represent?
    It's one of the great poems of English Lit.
    Linda C

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Linda C, I don't know what I'll get from the first reading, since it is written in "old english" and that's not my forte.
    I just hope I can get a glimmer of understanding.

I never had the opportunity to take a "lit" course, English 101 is as far as I got.
    Linda C, I hope you can explain what the albatross represents.
    The floor is yours, I'm eager to see what you have to say.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Well, The Rime isn't in "old English"...that would be Chaucer. There are glossed versions with his interpretations of certain words in the margins.
    As for what the Albatross represents....better critics than you and I have debated that.
    I think the bird represents an angel, perhaps Christ? Notice that it appears to lead them from the ice and all is good as long as it follows, the Mariner shoots it and all turns bad.....and in anger his mates hang the dead bird around his neck. To punish him? To remind him of his transgressions? To remind him that a good force came to lead and he killed it? And when all is at it's worst and all but him have died, in desperation he prays.....and the albatross drops and sinks into the sea...??

What I find more mystifying, why a wedding guest? And the frequent references to the clergy in the church and the bride?

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Thanks for your input, Lindac. I'm still waiting for my book to arrive so I can read it and interpret it for myself. I'll keep in mind "so much symbolism."

Sponsored
More Discussions