Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Last night's surprise

meldy_nva
10 years ago

10:30p
DH gets my attention and urgently motions for me to put my hearing aids on. No blood is dripping, but he seemed awfully upset; I put the aids in and follow him to the kitchen. About the time he flips on the outside light, I hear a very peculiar noise. Imagine a cross between a crow's caw and the cat's shriek when it's tail was stepped on. Looking out the window over the sink, DH says, "It's a fox!" (I don't see it.) Grabbing my hand, he pulls me over to the porch door -- I'm still mumbling about not seeing anything, and the intermittent discordance of cawing-shrieking is continuing. Just as I get to the door, a black-&-white cat (who apparently had been leaning against the door) dashes down the steps and speeds toward the toolshed at the back, and I see a fox running across the lawn to intercept it. DH opens the door and yells, the fox stops to look at him, the cat disappears around the back of the shed. A pause in time, and then the fox caw-shrieks at DH and looks around for the cat before turning back toward the opposite corner of the yard. He continued to emit caw-shrieks until he jumped the fence into the neighbor's backyard.

Fox families have lived close by for many years, and I have never before heard the type of noise this one made. Do you suppose it was the equivalent of cussing?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz
More Discussions