Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you ever

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 12:43

leave a tip when you have eaten at a buffet? Yesterday we had lunch at a upscale Chinese restaurant and noticed the man left a $5 tip when they left, I've never seen anyone else leave a tip at a buffet. The servers never do anything except take dishes off the table. I always tip at a service restaurant and the amount depends on the service. Is it proper to tip at a buffet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you ever

Here it is not required, but usually there is a tip-jar at the cash-register and customers leave a tip for all the help to share, the assumption is that the kitchen-help is really hustling to keep the buffet well stocked.

o

The one buffet place here has also a tip jar at the register.

o

We go to a combination full service and buffet restaurant, and usually get the buffet.The server brings the bread and makes sure we have new plates for each course for the buffet. Our tab is about $20 and I leave a $3 tip.

o

The Polish buffet we frequent does not have tip jar, so we always add a minumum of 10% of the bill. The servers make sure we have clean plates for our second trip plus they bring the drinks.

o

We always leave a tip

o

I live a tip. A lesser tip, but a tip.

o

If there is no tip jar, I tip10% rounded up to the next dollar.

My favorite Chinese buffet has a tip jar, but the attendent is the one who clears, cleans, and sets the table, keeps coffee etc. filled and re-filled, and brings additional clean plates. There, attendent gets 15+% and jar gets about 5%.

I don't mind tipping for service; the place that surprised me was a specialized restuarant that also had a pick-up window for on-the-go. It not only had a tip jar prominently placed, but the cashier tapped it to get my attention and quickly put on an offended expression when I didn't contribute. In line with that attitude, the to-go meal was noticeably smaller sized than the usual in-house serving.

o

If service is given and it is good a tip is always given. Service workers get paid as low as $2.50 an hour as tips are counted as wages and shared with all personnel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here