Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duck - the ducks are here

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 13:50

There are two groups - Mallards and Mergansers - they have spent winter in the area, visiting the ponds. When it was so cold and most or maybe all ponds were iced over, they hung out in the creeks, the running water didn't freeze, but they do like ponds better - more vegetation and creatures to dive for.
Caught them this morning, had to crop the picture much, but thought you's like it anyway.
Soon they will head for their breeding grounds and their summer homes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duck - the ducks are here -

Here is another shot, closer to the deck, the two species get along quite well. Mergansers dive and eat small fry and frogs and other water critters, the mallards are more into vegetation and perform an excellent service by keeping the cat-tails under control

o
RE: Duck - the ducks are here

Oh lilo. I just luv seeing the ducks and the duck pictures.

o

Thanks for posting. Where is there summer home?

o

Gabriell, it's Casa Lilo, where I live all the time :)
I am very fortunate, I think

o

Spring must be on the way.

o

Ducks are great but the mess they leave on patios is a pain!

o

I like your pictures, it feels so comforting.

Where do the ducks go in summer?

o

The Coastal estuaries, irrigated farmland, depends on their preference of food. Mallards eat vegetation and Mergansers dive for small fish, frogs , mollusks - so they go wherever food is available

o

LexiF, my neighbor would agree with you. We live in a subdivision, no ponds, lakes etc...but they have a pool. There are three ducks, one male and two females that show up every spring in their back yard and they sure make a mess on the patio and in the pool. The neighbor chases them away and they end up on our front lawn, we're glad for the fertilizer they leave. However, they would not be welcome on our patio.

o

Well, there is a reason they (and other domestic birds) are called "FOWL" LOL

o

LOL Lilo. I love seeing the pics. It gives me great comfort to think of you living there and enjoying all your visitors.

o

We have a small farm pond and a large koi pond. A pair of mallards come back every early spring, I guess to mate. They stay several weeks and then are gone until next year. We assume it's the same pair back every year and they are here. We leave them alone and keep our indoor dog from bothering them. They are sure signs of spring to us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here