Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

A new kitchen range

gandle
15 years ago

About a year and a half ago the oven igniter on our gas range failed. George managed to replace it but swore he would never do it again. Now, the igniter for the broiler is gone and he says he won't even try to fix that and I can't seem to find a repair person that will do it. The range is 20 years o;;d but has worked O.K. til now. George does the cooking but I do the baking and I want a range with an electric oven and he wants a gas cook top. We have room so we could even put a 36 or 40 inch range in the kitchen. We found a Frigidaire with that setup at Menards but we are having trouble finding other brands without going to commercial ranges. Question, do any of you have this type of range, what kind etc?

Comments (24)

• calliope
    15 years ago

My preference too. Gas for the range top cooking and electric for the oven baking. I solved the dilemma when we renovated our kitchen by buying a gas cook-top and it's installed in our island, and leaving the separate electric oven and broiler built into our inglenook. The best of both worlds. Might even be cheaper to do it that way.

• jazmynsmom
    15 years ago

About 2-3 years ago we bought a new range, and my only regret is that we didn't do it the day we moved into the house. I hated the electric stove/oven that came with the house.

We got a GE Profile 30" Dual Fuel (gas on top / electric oven). It's actually got two ovens (no drawer for pans). The bottom oven is smaller, only goes to 450*, and isn't convection like the upper. The upper oven has a temp probe that plugs into the oven side and I use it all the time.

The cook top has five burners, the middle one being oval shaped (perfect for gravy making!) and the middle grate changes out to a griddle that came with the range.

I love, love, love our range and smile every time I use it. We paid under $2k for it, including tax, installation and everything, and could have gotten it for less had we not opted for stainless.

I felt like we got the most bang for the buck we could have slid into that 30" space. Steve researched the heck out of what was available, and we went to six different stores before we bought it. I would heartily recommend this range to anyone on the market for a dual fuel appliance.

• gandle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michelle, does that range have a high btu output burner? George wants one that gets hotter than the regular ones.

• jazmynsmom
    15 years ago

Sure does. Right front burner. It even has a "large pot" setting. The difference in getting the water boiling in my canner on this stove top as compared to the other one was night and day. It doesn't take long at all to get a large covered stock pot to a rolling boil for pasta.

All five burners have different outputs so you can pick the right one for the job.

• gandle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

He uses a wok a lot and complains it just doesn't get quite hot enough. And I think the gas oven fluctuates too much. Thanks

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

Just in case - there's a really good forum here at GW (at That Home Site) - Appliances. The folk there are really knowledgeable about dual fuel stoves, and can even quote the precise BTUs . . . .

(I have what Calliope has: separate gas cooktop, and electric oven. But I think it may be more expensive to do it that way)

• andie_rathbone
    15 years ago

Suzy & Shelia are right. You definitely need a gas cook top. The electric ones, no matter how expensive, suck to be brutally honest. And the message from DH about the cooktop? The more BTU's the better.

However, an electric oven is much more accurate than a gas one, so two units would be the best.

• tibs
    15 years ago

ooh that sounds nice. but pricey and more things to go wrong. For my next range I am going backwards. No more electric starters. With all the power outages we seem to have I want an old style gas range where the oven pilot is always on. Then I can bake when the power is out, not just cook because the stove tops can be lit by a match. I am sure I can get it next county over in Amish Country. And for a few C's, not K's!

• calliope
    15 years ago

You can still get cooktops with pilot lights. I did, and for the same reason. Lots of power outages, and I used to work in a range manufacturing plant. Like you said, the more gadgets, the more problems. Alls you need to cook is a FLAME. I don't know about ovens, though. I've been told the cooktops with ignitors will light with a match, I wonder if the ovens do, or if there are safety reasons why you can't/shouldn't.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

I just bought a new gas fired kitchen range and actually have one that is perfectly good that I was going to donate to habitat for humanity restore, I see you are in Zone 4 and NE so if you are close you are welcome to drive over and pick it up..it is white, 4 burner, broiler in bottom..got a new one cause my frig died and i wanted to have matching stainless steel..also have a dishwasher that I replaced as well..still waiting to install new one so still using the white one for a few weeks yet.

• lilod
    15 years ago

I have a gas-range, set up for propane, and yes, the cook-top can be used lit with a match when the electronic ignition doesn't work because of a power outage, that's why I definitely wanted a gas appliance. The oven is gas also, it really doesn't seem to make a difference, the old range had a pilot light, but when the power was out, it didn't work anyway, because apparently the thermostat needs electricity, so that's a toss-up and a matter of preference.
    All gas (propane) suits me fine, I cook for one, so a lot of small baking is done in my toaster/convection oven, which is electric. It also keeps the kitchen cooler in summer.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

would you like this one I have?

• jamestho
    13 years ago

I was actually interested in a wok or similar appliance so I was curious to know that someone complains that the wok just doesn't get quite hot enough.
    Perhaps it's just the specific model?

• meldy_nva
    13 years ago

I have gas, and yes one can light the oven manually (the installer showed me how). However, it is so inconvenient that when our elec goes out, I simply opt not to bake.

My present stove may outlive me, but if it doesn't, I want the same setup as Jaz! (Although GE Profile worries me due to an excess of repairs.)

I thought one always used a cooking ring when using a wok?

I've never had a problem with lack of heat, OTOH, the installer was really careful, making sure the oven temps were correct and the burners had proper control. I don't know BTUs, but the back burners will heat 2 gallons of 45* water to a boil in about 8 minutes.... and I have absolutely no need for anything faster! Seriously, I always wonder about those folks who want flamethrowers... are they such poor planners that they need the speedy heat because they forgot to put the pot on at the right time? or is it a case of WOW lookit at all the BTUs! In 60 years of cooking and canning, I cannot think of one single time that it was imperative to use excess heat to get the meal done on time, and in an energy-conscious world I can't justify using a lot of BTUs to do what can be done with the usual number.

• Janis_G
    13 years ago

I have a gas cooktop in the island and an electric wall
    oven. I like having them separate.

Leone, good luck finding exactly what you want.
    After using the same appliance for 20 years, you will
    love have a brand new one.

Happy cooking George.

• nonnie45
    13 years ago

Hi: I am new at this and cannot figure out how to post a new message regarding kitchen appliances. Help Please

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Hi nonnie45. Welcome to the GP. I've posted a link to the instruct page. I hope it will be helpful. Hope to see you soon at the "A new kitchen range" post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instruct

• kathyjane
    13 years ago

I have an old 6-burner Vulcan commercial stove---old as the hills. I bought it from a restaurateur when his place closed up some years back.

The burners go 'Wuufff' when they're lit.
    The oven goes 'wuummph' when it's lit.

I love everything about it and it's
    straight-forward; simple.
    It's a beast of a stove!

• User
    13 years ago

Old stoves are the best especially restaurant quality ones.

• StoveHunter
    12 years ago

I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR A NEW RANGE OR COOKTOP/OVEN. ANYONE HAVE A BLUE STAR?

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    12 years ago

Try posting at the Kitchen Appliances forum - lots of Blue Star owners there.

• carik1945
    11 years ago

I am looking for a new kitchen gas range. I would like to find out all about other people's experiences. I read reviews and it seems people have had a lot of trouble with Frigidaire and GE, but then only people who are not happy will tend to write. Please email me.

• cindylu20
    9 years ago

I am replacing an electric cooktop to a gas cooktop.. All suggestions?? I am unsure if I should get a 4 burner or 5 burner( size 30 inches) I am so excited I just want to make the right choice. I love cooking and will be using it everyday. Thanks

• Rhonda08
    9 years ago

Interested in any help on a new home build on purchasing low maintainenece sealed burner gas stove with (oven could be gas or electric) and frig microwave dishwasher. Looking at bosch or viking. Open to any advice on brands. Want stainless steel perhaps 6 burner.

Sponsored
More Discussions