Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_gardener

What does the 500 in Chevy 500 mean?

west_gardener
10 years ago

Starting out I'll say that I don't know much about cars/trucks, but I have a secret love affair with them., especially pickups.
The other day I saw my dream pickup truck, it was red , my favorite color, it said Chevy 500, What does the 500 mean?
I wish I had a pic,

Comments (7)

• gmatx zone 6
    10 years ago

West_gardener - I haven't seen a Chevy 500 in years, and I do mean many years. From what I have read, the Chevy 500 was a Brazilian made light-duty pickup based on the Chevrolet Chevette. Their hauling capacity was around 1/2 ton. Yes, pickups are special.

Not sure why we even make cars anymore as pickups today are mostly 4 doors and with tonneau covers for the bed you have the benefits of a car with more "trunk" space. We don't even own a car anymore. The older we get the harder it is for us (especially DH since his knee replacement) to get UP and out of the car....and, I would look really funny pulling a gooseneck stock trailer with a car. Several years ago DH and I saw a car that had somehow been fitted with a 5th wheel hookup and was towing a travel trailer. Talk about whipping your head around and thinking "what did I just see?".....

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

I always thought those sorts of numbers were abitrary. My Miata is known as an MX-5. Their other car in production at the time was an RX-7. But their motor was really well known twin rotor Wankel Rotary, so maybe, the letters and numbers do mean something? But a car my ex loved had letters and they stood for something really dumb like "fast as heck", like, and this is totally made up, Ford FAH. So maybe not? Totally sounds like it depends.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That little red truck was a head turner for me. It was all shiny and looked new,but now I think it was restored and someone did a great job. A man of a certain age was driving it, and I hope he's local so I may see it again.
    Thanks for the info.

• meldy_nva
    10 years ago

I think it refers to cubic inches.

Sorry, I don't have time for an in-depth search, but the good folks on this link do explain the "350" in chevy 350.

Here is a link that might be useful: 350 c.i.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

meldy, thanks for the link. It was helpful, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who asks that kind of question, You have good search skills.

• gmatx zone 6
    10 years ago

The Chevy 500 emblem on the outside of the pickup indicates the model/size of the truck. Today "1500" indicates a half-ton vehicle, while "2500" indicates a 3/4 ton vehicle and "3500" is a one-ton. The 350 c.i. indicates the size of the motor. The 350 c.i. motor became the standard motor for Chevrolet. The motor size/cubic inches will be shown on the motor itself. In our really younger years, hubby rebuilt quite a few Chevrolet motors. We owned a '55 and a '56 Chevrolet car which are DH favorites while mine is the '57 two-door hardtop (yeah baby!!) in red and white, followed by the '62 two-door hardtop in that silver-blue color that was so popular.

This is what Wikipedia shows on the Chevy 500 - The "Chevrolet Chevy 500" was the pickup version of the Brazilian Chevette. Launched in 1983, it was the precursor to the Classic/Corsa/Montana lineup of today. It competed with offerings from several other manufacturers, including the Fiat Fiorino, Ford Pampa, and Volkswagen Saveiro. Its payload was 500 kg (1,100 lb). Using the 1.6 liter OHC inline-four rated at 70 hp, this model continued in production until 1994 and was the last Chevette version built in Brazil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this the one you saw

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi gmatx , the truck pic is pretty close to what I saw. The" Chevy 500" emblem was just the same as the pic. and in the same place as on the pic. The railing around the bed was the same, except the pic shows three (details) , and I did not notice that on the truck. On top of the railing was a piece of very textured rubber/plastic material. It looked brand new, and I was wondering why it was there.
    The truck I saw seems to have
    a bit rounder lines.
    Thanks to you all, I think I'm getting closer to figuring what kind of truck it is.
    Thanks.

Sponsored
More Discussions