Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
That is so good

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 22:10

I brought a head of red cabbage home yesterday and asked George to make sweet and sour red cabbage. He doesn't use a recipe but how can you miss when you start out with 4 slices of bacon, the rest just has to be good. It is even better when it stands for a day or two. Knd of dyes everything purple-red but who cares.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: That is so good

I love sour/sweet red cabbage and it definitely is better when it "ages" for a day or two, the flavors blend.
I use sliced apples and sliced onions along with the cabbage/

o

Yeah,,,,,red cabbage,,,,red onion, bacon, vinegar, brown sugar and time!!...not thyme....perhaps an apple or so as well.
Yummers!

o

You know, I use leaf lettuce in spring the same way. Just don't have to saute it, I wilt it with the hot vinegar mix and serve it up immediately.

o

My Mom used to do that with leaf lettuce. Steve in Baltimore County

o

But now you have me wanting German Potato Salad.

Suzy, my Italian Nona did that with escarole, so she did let it wilt in the hot pan for a second.

o

this reminds me of what the husband/cook did the other night. Fried out some bacon, sauted onions in the grease and added fresh spinach.

It was supposed to be done when the spinach wilted. Alas! we forgot to turn off the fire. So the spinach cooked on. It was delicious!!! He plans on doing it again very soon.

o

Romaine is another one very good wilted or lightly sauteed

o

Would somebody sent me a bowl of red cabbage through e-mail? I love it, my husband don't.

o

Anneliese, send me your address and I will see what I can do. I canned about 45 pounds of red cabbage last year, resulting in over 20 quarts of good old fashioned sweet and sour cabbage, my Oma's recipe.

o

Aw, Peppi, you're so nice.

o

Pkramer, thanks so much for your offer but my vegetarian son promised me some red cabbage when he comes by on Friday. You are so nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here