Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjmercer

Wojo is bald

mjmercer
13 years ago

How many of us are old enough to remember the TV series "Barney Miller"? There was a character on the show whose last name was Polish. I don't know if they ever figured out how to spell his name -- it was sort of a running joke on the show. He went by the nickname Wojo.

Imagine my shock. I am watching "Harry's Law." One of this week's guest stars looked familiar but I couldn't place him. Then it hit me like a brick wall coming down on me: It's Wojo. With no hair. And 30 years older. How did that happen?

It was one of those not-so-subtle reminders we get from time to time, that time is indeed passing at warp speed. For all of us. It's also a reminder that I need to get out there and carpe as much diem as I can, while I'm still here to carpe.

That is all.

Karen

Comments (5)

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

Smiles. Yes, Karen, I saw him on something recently and it took a minute. Was it Wo-jo-ho-witz? LOL... I had to go look up the spelling. It was bothering me. It's spelled Wojciehowicz. You carpe that diem girl. More power to ya.

• calliope
    13 years ago

You know, even way back then when the show was prime, you could tell Wojo was thinning and heading in that direction. I find it almost refreshing a man could embrace that and not have angst about it.

Baldness was sort of a novelty to me growing up because I don't know of one bald or balding man in my family on either side. I did, however, marry the first time to a man who was beginning to thin in his twenties. OMGod did he have issues with that. LOL. He spent a small fortune on snake oil from beauty shops until he finally believed me that it was in his genes and inevitable. We are long divorced, but I see him now and then and he looks like mister clean now.

Present hubby has a full head of hair now, even in his advancing age, as did my father who died in his eighties with his mane intact. But, I don't find the trend for men with thin hair to just shave it all off unattractive at all. I always did have a thing for Yul Brynner.

It all goes back to when people accept and are comfortable with their appearance, they come across attractive and they are liberated when they realise that they notice their perceived flaws a lot more intensely than anyone else does. Confidence and a smile ...........uhm........it's hard to see past that.

• mwoods
    13 years ago

I loved that show and it was just one of the few where the whole cast of characters just clicked. I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite and that's kind of the test of a good program I think. Max Gail,wojo,pops up in so many tv shows. I saw him in NCIS recently. Fish was so good,and Ron someone or other played the guy who was really fussy about his clothes and shoes and just a total pris. LOL I guess if I had to pick a favorite it would be the droll Dietrich. His humor cracked me up all the time. I think he died. Another trip down memory lane. Thanks Karen.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

Sheesh. I'm so old. When I saw Wojo, I automatically said to myself "Wojciehowicz?" (thanks coconut!)??? Ironically, I pictured Abe Vigoda, never remembering he was "Fish". But, I remembered that too. Silly things to remember.

• pamven
    13 years ago

Is it wrong of me to derive so much amusement from David Lee Roths balding head?

Sponsored
More Discussions