Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monday March 19, 2012

Posted by coconut-nj 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 1:57

I never did very well in math - I could never seem to persuade the teacher that I hadn't meant my answers literally.
Calvin Trillin

I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.
Ursula K. Le Guin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monday March 19, 2012

How true

o

I like both of them - growing up to be an eggplant, well it could be worse, one could grow up to be a rutabaga - yuck!

o

Good ones. Hey lilo, there is nothing wrong with a rutabaga. We love them mashed with potatoes.

o

I had not thought of the lack of imagination and eggplant together. But it's a certain amount of truth there. People with no imagination just sit there waiting for others to come up with a recipe for life.

o

Never did take to eggplant, but mashed rutabaga and potatoes is a favorite dish. It is called "rotmos" in Swedish. They used to have carts outside the movie theaters in Sweden, where we bought a bun filled with hot rotmos and a sausage. Yum. I fix it here and imagine I'm 15 again and waiting to see the movie, Rock around the clock.

o

I developed a prejudice against rutabaga during the war years when I wasn't living at home and had to get my meals out, giving ration cupons for anuthing with meat, butter in it, and your 50 grams of meat went fast. There was always ration-free rutabaga available, cooked in water, they added some salt and some other available seasoning, and that was what my friends and I ate most of the time, saving the meat-cupon for sunday dinner. It did get pretty tiresome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here