Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Fresh spinach salad

gandle
12 years ago

Picked a large pan of spinach leaves last evening. We have a 3' by 4' cold frame on the south side of an outbuilding. Last fall I dug up 1/2 of the soil in the frame and planted spinach seeds Such a mild winter I didn't even have to close the lid on the frame. Well, now we have so much spinach that I'm tired of washing it. Leone had carpal tunnel surgery on her right hand last week and can't get the hand wet so washing the spinach is my job.

We really like it and have used it in every way imaginable.

Tonight I'm going to dig some scorzonera. The ground is finally thawed enough. Love it parboiled in the skins and then the skins slipped off and then roasted. The problem, when I eat scorzonera I think I generate enough gas to power a small city. Think it is one of the vegetable sugars that does that but we really love the taste. We'll wait a couple of days and then dig some parsnips. They should be really sweet and good this early.

The leaves of some crocus are poking out of the ground but no flowers yet.

Comments (10)

• User
    12 years ago

Spinach is verboten for me with the coumadin but I will make up for it later. Love salsify but hard to find here. Tell Leone hugs and hope the hand comes out fine. Have that one coming up too.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

George, I've never heard of "scorzonera"; I'll have to look it up. But I think I'll pass on trying it; my digestive system would probably disown me!

A spinach salad I like to make is with spinach, red onion slices, strawberries, and slivered almonds. I make a simple dressing--sugar added for some sweetness--and toss it at the last minute. The combination of ingredients sounds strange, but tastes delicious.

I hope Leone is as fortunate with her carpal tunnel surgery as I was. I had it done six years ago and have never had any discomfort, since. The surgeon made the incision in one of the lines in my palm and now, I can't even find it.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

In our family, it goes something like this. If you plant them pick them and fix them. If you fish them, clean and fillet them, if you shoot them, dress/pluck them

• tibs
    12 years ago

Never had salsify - mom called it the oyster plant. Said it wasy suppose to taste like oysters. As oysters are not my most favorite sea food and I am sure they would effect me the way they do Gandle, I think I will pass on this veggie.
    suppose to get up to 70 today. Bought my onion sets, might try to get them in the ground if it is dry enough.

• lindac
    12 years ago

George....I'll take all the spinach you care to share!!
    I love spinach any way....in a salad...as a filling for mushrooms, or in chicken breasts, or in a roulade...or ravioli or...
    But I also love it "woked"....cooked in a wok in garlic scented olive oil for about 90 seconds, sprinkled with salt, fresh lemon juice and fresh grated parmesan cheese.

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

My knee-jerk response when too much of something comes in is to freeze it. Spinach gets dipped in boiling water just long enough to wilt, drained and then chopped (about 1/2" dices). I use pint-size containers and am careful to top the packing with plastic wrap so contents don't get freezer-burn from being exposed to air. Frozen spinach is quick to use in quiches, biscuits, or creamed.

I know, that doesn't eliminate the clean-washing. OTOH, I figure that's what strainers and dishpans were invented for. You don't use poisons either, so it's just a matter of dip, drip, and dip, drip to get the soil off.

• gandle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For some ridiculous reason I am unable to initiate a post. But, I can link to any post and then post. Until I get this figured out I may hitchhike messages on someone elses post. Excuse me in advance.

• agnespuffin
    12 years ago

I could start a new "Adventures in Cooking" thread, but since this one concerns spinach, I'll put it here.

We enjoy a wilted spinach salad....crisp bacon bits, sauted onion, a little garlic, vinegar, and just enough heat to wilt the spinach a little.

Well, He, that's learning to cook, was doing it..put the cover on the frying pan to wilt the greens, and forgot to turn off the heat. The results were wonderful! Spinach cooked to perfection with bacon, onion, and garlic.

hmmmm, I may like it more than the wilted salad.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

agnespuffin, I'm glad that the new cook in your house is doing well.Enjoy.
    I like the idea of an "Adventures in Cooking". thread.
    Let me count the ways. As I see it, I'm a traditional cook. Meat, a side of veggies and starch (potatoes, noodles,rice etc...,and a side salad.
    Here we go about the adventure. I'm trying to cook a "family" meal. LOL

DS has gone vegetarian, but he does not like veggies.
    DD seems to be sensetive to "gluten", DH has issues with lack of fiber (he does not like veggies either). DGS is a picky eater, personally I'm fine, I'm the cook so I cook what's good for me.
    But how on earth do I cook a "family meal" with all these variations?

BTW, I tried to cook a gluten free bread the other day, and it was not a good adventure in cooking.

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

Ah, WestG, you brought back a memory: DD decided to go vegetarian when a youngish teen. I told her that was fine with me; I added, be sure you write any unique foods on the grocery list because I don't see any point in cooking special meals for a non-invalid: you can eat what I fix or feel free to fix your own, as long as you ingest the proper vitamins, minerals, and protein to continue having good health. Sent her to the library for books on nutrition rather than doing the explanations. She came back with a tall stack and a thoughtful expression, but did study them. The upshot was that she stayed 'veggie' for about two weeks and then the matter faded away.

I was veggie for over a decade, and while it's easier to obtain uncommon foods now than it was at that time, sensible vegetarianism does require a good basic knowledge of nutrition to prevent ill-health.

BTW, sneak pureed vegs into meatloaf, meatballs, and dinner rolls to get them past 'picky' eaters. Insist on the 5-times rule (even for adults) for trying new foods: must chew and swallow 5 bites of any new food, and repeat at 5 different meals before allowed to 'dislike' a food. (It's vital to keep a record.) Your part of the rule is to be sure that *every* meal has a least one untried food or one food prepared in a different way ~ and to present new foods in an assortment of recipes. Quite often vegs are disliked 'plain' so be sure to use a variety of herbs and spices for seasoning, and get the best organic vegs you can find. Freshness really does matter.