endorphinjunkie

Surf's up West Coast

endorphinjunkie
13 years ago

Stay safe everyone on the left coast.

Comments (12)

• mjmercer
    13 years ago

Just heard that beaches in Malibu and Newport Beach will be closed today as a precaution.

Karen

• lilod
    13 years ago

Highway 101 following the coast north of here - it is closed,
    Fort Bragg and other coastal towns have initiated evacuation for low lying homes and businesses.
    I am too far inland to have to worry about it, there is a mountain range between me and the coast.

• mawheel
    13 years ago

Don't know this for a fact, but I heard that some areas of the Oregon coastline are being evacuated.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

It seems that the undercurrents are acting up here on the west coast.

• lilod
    13 years ago

Did enough damage to have the Gov declare disaster areas in a few counties, took a life, and started 6000 miles away, formidable!

• kathyjane
    13 years ago

Something like this really reminds us how small we really are on this planet.

• mjmercer
    13 years ago

I traded e-mails yesterday with a good friend who is from Christchurch, New Zealand. She has lots of family there. They all survived the recent earthquake but some of their homes were severely damaged. Reflecting on the earthquake in Japan, my friend said "It seems there's a lot of activity in the Ring of Fire."

I told her it's horrible that so many people are suffering. But from a strictly geological standpoint I do find all of the simultaneous activity fascinating. Throw that in with all of the Mideast unrest and we've got ourselves a doozy of an UNharmonic convergence going on. Hmmmmm.

Karen

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

I looked at the TV coverage of the Santa Cruz, Ca boat harbor and at first glance the water looked "normal", but then one boat after the other, were pulled from their moorings and turned upside down, pulled out to sea under a bridge, then pushed back. The docks were pulled up and floated around. I could see a few ripples around the docks, but there must have been some incredible force under the water.

• User
    13 years ago

Last week there were 68 total quakes over 4.0 for the week. This is an app from USGS that I have on my iGoogle page that I see every day. It shows quakes for the last week over 4.0 all over the world and is interactive. Note the dates and numbers at the top of the pictures.

{{gwi:146309}}

{{gwi:146310}}

{{gwi:146311}}

{{gwi:146312}}

This is the USGS site, click on the tabs for this quake and the links in the left column for general info. Of special interest, to me anyway, is the significant quake link. It has large quakes over the last ten years and they have been increasing in number.
    USGS

Tsunami link.
    link

Another tsunami link shows times by picture.
    {{gwi:146308}}

This is an interesting page, check the dates and the causalities.
    link

One of the reactors has exploded. Story and explanation in link.
    link

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

We live in earthquake country, and we feel tremblers all the time, we also had the big 89 quake. "They" say that the big one is coming to our region at some point.

• petaloid
    13 years ago

I went over to Venice beach yesterday morning and it looked okay as far as the waves. No flooding, thank goodness.

News reports said the earth's axis shifted almost four inches due to that big quake. Japan itself was pushed over, I think they said eight feet.

• User
    13 years ago

The world count for mad. 4.0 and above on my USGS app. is now 468. The cluster off the east coast of Japan keeps growing. Don't know how they are coping over there with the constant movement, must be very unsettling. Hope they can get the reactors under control.