Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

She had a rich full life

gandle
13 years ago

We just got back from New York state from my aunt's burial services. She was 101 years old and passed away in her sleep. At her request, no formal funeral services were held. Just family and friends at the graveside saying goodbye.

She taught swimming until 2 years ago and just 6 months ago finally moved into a home where she could receive some help with mobility. A grand lady, never once heard a complaint from here.

Will miss her letters and calls.

Comments (15)

• mawheel
    13 years ago

George, I'm sorry for your loss; no matter one's age, it's hard to lose a loved one.

• Janis_G
    13 years ago

George, it is hard to have to say goodbye to our
    beloved aunts.
    I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to yours.

I always loved your stories about her.

• lilod
    13 years ago

I loved your stories about her, she was a Grand Lady, it is good to hear she passed peacefully and her services were as simple as she appeared to have lived.
    It is always hard to say goodbye.

• mjmercer
    13 years ago

George, is this the same relative who recently travelled somewhere very exotic? I want to say Central America but can't remember. What I do remember is that it was awesome and I hoped I would have that same spirit of adventure at that age, if I'm lucky enough to live that long.

Rest in peace.

Karen

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

George and Leonne, I am sorry about your loss. I too liked your stories about your aunt and I wish that I would be half as active as she was at her age. I think she was an inspiration to everybody who knew her.

• pamven
    13 years ago

I know she meant the world to you George...im so sorry for your loss.

• User
    13 years ago

Sorry George and Leone.

• gandle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Karen, she was in Costa Rica for the winter I think 3 years ago and 2 years before that she went to Australia for the winter. Her excuse was always "its a lot warmer than upper New York state".

• kathyjane
    13 years ago

George, I'm in awe of your family; all of you seem to have contributed so much in different areas of interest or vocation.

I'm sorry your aunt will no longer be here to share adventures and stories with you and Leone.
    I know you both miss her so much and feel a deep loss within your family.
    Please accept my condolances.
    KJ

(Where in upstate did she live, if you don't mind my asking?)

• gabriell_gw
    13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear of your sad loss. I have enjoyed hearing about your aunt.She was an inspiring woman,I wish I were that active.

• mwoods
    13 years ago

Aunts can be really special people and yours sounds like just that. What a wonderful life she lived.

• jazmynsmom
    13 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss, and celebrate that you had such a wonderful aunt. I don't think I could imagine a better ending than going peacefully in my sleep after a long, full, active life.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

I have to agree fully with Michelle, that's how I'd want to be if I had a choice. I'm glad you remember her so well and loved her. It's all she could want.

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

I'm sorry your Dear Aunt has passed. Your stories of her have always been wonderful. I hope that from time to time you'll think of a story and remind us/pass it on.

• shilty
    13 years ago

But - Gnadle - she's not really gone - she will be in your heart and mind so long as you draw breath.

And I know she has to have been very proud of the man you became.

Sunflowers to you!

s

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions