Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepsi216_gw

Gifts for a Master Gardener

pepsi216
13 years ago

Calling all Master Gardeners!

I'm in the process of buying a house and am closing next week. Woohoo! I've found out the seller of the house is a Master Gardener, though it should have been apparent from the gorgeous garden she's created. I can't wait to be the one to take care of it! Anyway, I'd like to put together a thank you gift basket, and was wondering, what kinds of things would you like to receive in a gift basket? Is there a garden tool, seed packet, or something else you'd like? Or would you go the route of a bottle of wine, cheeses, chocolates, etc? Since I'm buying a house, I don't have a whole lot of money to spend, but I'd like to get a meaningful gift as a thank you for selling us her beautiful garden (and house of course!).

Thanks for your help!

Kelly

Comments (4)

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

I'd stick with the garden theme. Perhaps a photo of the garden, or part of the garden, printed on a card with a message of thanks and assurances that you will take care of it.
    Or a photo that includes both the house and garden, and a note that you will take care of both.

• calliope
    13 years ago

That's very kind of you to think of her, because it's usually done just the opposite.......the seller often leaves a gift for the purchaser (especially in this housing market).

I have left houses with awesome gardens. The most I wanted from the purchaser was the good thought that it wouldn't all be mowed and sawn down to make way for red-dyed mulch and bradford pears.

• meldy_nva
    13 years ago

By the time one has gotten to Master status, it's probable that the usual thingies are already in possession; and you don't know him/her well enough to know what sort 'special' thingies really would be special.

I like the photo idea... maybe even expand it a bit into a small album showing all the plants and views from all directions. And yes, a note saying that you will do your best to maintain the gardens would be appreciated. If you are really lucky, you'll be able to stay in contact so you can ask about the best time/method for dividing plants etc.

• calliope
    13 years ago

There isn't any 'getting to Master Status'. Master Gardener as the term is used most commonly are just those people who take a short course through their county extension department to get them familiar enough with plants to assist the agency in dealing with questions from the public. There are no national criteria about how easy or hard it has to be, and usually no passing or failing or graded tests.

One can find people with all levels of knowledge and experience who are 'master gardeners' from the rank novice, to the very polished. But I can guarantee you if they are extraordinarily good gardeners, it's a skill they gleaned somewhere other than the short, basic course they took.

Don't get me wrong...it's a great program and it does a lot of good, as most of them are required to give back in a gardening way to the community to maintain their status in the program. It's just a thing with professionals, because the title comes with little or no accreditation and is widely misunderstood by many, or used in ways it was not intended to be (for profit or bragging rights).

I agree with the photos suggestion and also the promise and I'd also offer to share any beloved starts they may not have been able to move when they sold. Also visiting rights.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction
More Discussions