Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
St. Patrick's Day and no Good Wishes

Posted by posieh 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 14:44

I'm trying not to feel bad as I AM IRISH ! My Gradmother and my Dad both had red hair to prove it! I don't drink beer and I don't eat Corn Beef and cabbage.....but I had a great day! Went to dinner and wore my green! Someone here said you could go "stagger around" with another 300,000 is totally wrong! The real Irish don't do that, only the ones who wish they were Irish do! Anyway, alot of time and effort
go into those parades, it's not easy marching and playing a bagpipe! Have seen truely great parades in St. Paul and Chicago but think the greatest was in Boston. Lots of REAL IRISH folks there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: St. Patrick's Day and no Good Wishes

Glad you had a good day!

We are supposed to have the second largest parade in the nation. I am sure the Partying that started last weekend and will continue thru this Saturday night. And I think you are right, REAL Irish don't act like our visitors. It has gotten out of hand, but it does bring in the Almighty Tourist and his money.

It started here a long time ago as the families from the nearby Irish community would all march to the Church for Mass on St. Patrick's Day. I don't know when it started being a party time for everyone. They even managed to keep it going strong during prohibition days.

When I was a little girl, there were a lot of Military bands and groups. All marching smartly. Awesome!!! I wish it were the same now. Now, it's Party time, before, during and after the parade.

For a look, www.savannahnow.com and follow the different links

Here is a link that might be useful: parade and party

o

I'm not surprised at all by the "Partying" here in the states during St. Patrick's day. On my first St. Patrick's day here in this country (that was about 55 years ago) I was invited to join some
co-workers for a celebration. The whole lunch was spent drinking "green beer". I don't drink beer and certainly not green beer.
Anyway, that was my introduction to Paddy.

o

Yes, it is rather sad that it has become a "Big Party". I've always wondered how they turn gold colored beer to green.

o

I wore a green sweater, slacks, scarf and green-striped socks in honor of the day. I'm currently eating some kind of Irish mega-scone I bought at Trader Joe's. Best I could do.

I have a soft spot for Ireland -- good fortune took me there many years ago and it was lovely. The people were so kind to us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here