Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oranges and Lemons

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 15:00

Hi all,
With all the crazy weather, frost, drought and now a few days of heavy wind and a lot of rain I was concerned about my citrus trees. But they seem to be ok. The oranges are smaller than usual but that is understandable.
I think the trees will soak up every drop of moisture they can, and the fruits will probably split.
I took the photos today. It was windy, so I hope they are ok,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oranges and Lemons

Lemons

o

Lemons again.

o

Tiny orange buds, getting ready for next year. I wonder what kind of year they will have.

o

Looks delicious

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 16:21

What lovely trees to have in one's back yard and actually to be able to pick fruit from them. The price of Navel oranges has stayed steady at $1 per orange in my area since early Fall; even at WalMart, they have been $.78 per orange.

The lemon tree brought to mind for me the Triny Lopez version of "The Lemon Tree". After checking to make sure I had his name correct, I read that Peter, Paul, and Mary had the most popular rendition, but in my head, I hear Triny singing.

WG, thanks for reassuring us that eventually, warm(er) weather will reach the rest of the country! :-)

o

Wow, those look good. I just can smell the oranges and lemons.
I just was going to ask how you Californians are doing with all that rain. We are waiting for ice.

o

I can't imagine being able to walk out my door and pick fresh lemons and oranges. Good for you!

o

mwhee and all, let's celebrate the lemon tree with music.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon tree

o

You lucky thing you! I'll have an orange for breakfast tomorrow and if you will, let me know when you ship me that lemon pie so I can be on the lookout for it......LOL My poor dwarf lemon and lime trees in the greenhouse are pathetic. The fragrance when they DO bloom is heavenly.

How is the rain situation there? Woke to 9F this morning around 7 A.M. and it's still 9F. Slick this morning going to and from church/town.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 17:54

WG, thanks for posting that link; that's the version/sound I have going through my head. I don't know the words to the verses, but I awake in the middle of the night with the chorus going full blast!

o

The citrus bloom smell is great and pittosporum has the same or very similar smell, lots of both around here.

o

The rain situation here in Silicon Valley has been good. It started with a few showers and when the deluge came it just soaked into the ground. We are lucky because I see on the news that there are floods, flash floods and mudslides in other parts of CA.
Talking about the scent of citrus trees, it is wonderful.
Below is a pic of the fallen blossoms from a spring bloom.

o

Oh wow! What great pics! I wish I could grow those one day... thx for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here