Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnespuffin

What a Way To Go!!!!!

agnespuffin
12 years ago

I always thought that the best way to leave this old world was to pass a way quietly during sleep.

However, Yesterday's events showed me another great way..

doing something that you loved.

We had our Big St.Patrick's Day Parade yesterday. There was one unit...a group of older guys that never gave up their love for marching along, playing their instruments, to the yells of crowds.

So, four blocks from the end of the parade, one of their drummers, a 57 yr old, dropped dead from a heart attack.

What a way to go....doing what you loved, surrounded by cheering crowds. I hope he went happily.

Comments (11)

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

He sure lived his life the way he wanted to the end.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

I think I'd still prefer going in my sleep, when I wouldn't know --or hopefully-- feel, a thing. But regardless of when or how it happens, it's going to be a shock for whomever finds me!

And on that note, I hope I can sleep, tonight! :>)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Indeed. He went out with his boots on!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

That is a wonderful thought, he died doing what he loved.

I hate to say it and make fun of death, but he obviously went out... with a bang! He, being a drummer, would love that I said that. I used to date marching band drummers, exclusively. My kind of guys. Fun and quirky, loveable kind of people.

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The name of his group was "The Second Time Arounders Marching Band."

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

Ok Puffy, you're just making that up now! LOL. I've been thinking about this. I agree it would be nice to go doing something you love, then again it seems a bit young, then, yet again....you never know what age your body will give out or something will cause your death.

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nope. not making it up. The group was from Florida.

We are supposed to have the biggest or second biggest parade in the Nation. You would not believe the groups that come from all over just to march and Party. This year, we had one big party from Thursday night thru early Sunday Morning. This town is a party town.

It's Wild!! They passed a new law for this year. You can carry only one 16oz cup around with you. Previous years, the drunks could carry as many as they could manage.

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

That must get pretty wild indeed! The one 16oz cup made me chuckle. It reminded me of my days of yore at Mardi Gras when I'd make up a gallon jug of white russians to last the whole day without having to try going into bars to buy a drink. Guess that wouldn't fly there, eh? Not that I could hang with that much these days my own self, even if I had all day to drink it. LOL.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Coconut, I'm picturing you carrying a huge keg-sized thermos on your back with a long straw that you would sip on. HA! I realize it was your home, but why go home when you can take it with you.

;)

• User
    12 years ago

Some times any more I think of the saying attributed to James Dean, "Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse." It would save a lot of pain and hassle and/in slow motion. But then I would not have the privilege of hanging out with my friends here or learning new stuff like music, quotes and kitchen gadgets.

To die doing what you love would be for me taking care of trees and plants, cooking and BBQ, learning and playing new songs and instruments or meeting people and learning about them and their lives. Guess the way to do it is to always do the things you love, better odds.

So how would you want to end up? Mwheel said in her sleep quietly and that is a true legitimate desire but if the pain and/or awareness were acceptable in the activity you like would that not allay your hesitations to forge ahead. Then the remembrances and ceremonies after the fact are also varied in so many ways. I would like a BBQ with music in a garden where people have fun to be remembered by.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

I'd like my remembrances to be held at a little bitty beach in Half Moon Bay, CA. That's where we as a family have met for many years for fun and to discuss family matters.
    The marina is still a commercial fishing area, and the tiny beach front is where the disabled boats are beached and the owners come in and cart the boat away. One day the boat is in water and the other day it is beached.

Sponsored
More Discussions