Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

kids huffing candy???

rob333 (zone 7b)
13 years ago

Why??? For the love of all that is good and right, would kids smash up candy into powders so they can huff it?! We were at the doctor's office and since they were asking pointed confidential questions (and right before the physician came in we were discussing an inhalant poster in the room), I took at as a time for dialogue. He tells me all the time he feels like he can talk to me and I go to great pains to make sure it stays that way. I asked him if any of his friends were taking or experimenting with drugs yet? He told me he knew of kids who smashed up smarties and snorted them. I said, Wonder why they do that? He shrugged and said I don't know. I said, I am curious, but not curious enough to find out for myself. And luckily, he said me too! like, Ick! What stupid things for people to do. Whew.

But why? Do you know? Have you heard? Unfortunately, all I can find are "how to videos". UGH!

Comments (17)

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Good for you that you are asking questions and that LF is willing to talk to you.
    Kids like to experiment. I had never heard of "smarties" , so I checked it out on google. It seems to be a candy company, and below is a jpg they posted for St. Paddy's day. It looks like "pills" to me. Who are the people that is running this company?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:147776}}

• pamven
    13 years ago

"Smarties" have been around forever and are great for a quick sugar fix if one is crashing....its not the companies fault stupid kids are snorting them up their noses.

• agnespuffin
    13 years ago

And this is much worse than obese people actually stuffing their gut full of candy? hmmm?

The sugar just gets to the brain faster. The end result may be the same but not so many calories.

Yeah, I'm in a bad mood tonight and I fell like picking at something.

Some kids will try anything if someone else tells them that it is great and the grown ups will be shocked if they do it.

• mjmercer
    13 years ago

Reminds me of an episode of "House" from a few seasons back. House had a cold. He was crushing and snorting his cold medication because it got into his system faster.

So following that logic, maybe these kids are trying to get a faster sugar rush by snorting the candy. Well, I'm assuming that "huffing" equals "snorting"? I'm not up on lingo for this stuff.

Karen

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was wondering how it affected their mood, so it's just a sugar rush? That's what they get out of it? I figured I was really missing something. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's "practice" or getting a foothold into the wrong place is a big problem. That part I worry about. I guess they could get it into their lungs? Might not be good? Maybe.

Yes, huffing/snorting/inhaling. Along the same lines. Kids today.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Take a look on how the company is marketing their products to kids.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Huffing is different from snorting. Kids huff stuff like glue. It means inhaling the fumes from a solvent into your lungs for a high ( or low). Snorting is sniffing stuff up your nose for quick absorption through contact with mucous membrane.....like coke.
    What I find so alarming is the imitative "snorting" behavior, not the sugar powder up the nose.
    From the videos I have seen it just burns like the devil and the only effect is eye watering and pain....outside of the ceremony of crushing and making a "line" and snorting it.
    Stupid kids!
    Linda C

• tibs
    13 years ago

When dd was playing sports all thru the grades, one of the girl's grandpa's attended every game and many practices. He always had pocketfulls of smarties, rootbeer barrels and fireballs. (and no he wasn't a creepy old guy trying to pick up little kids) I loved getting my roll of smarties from him. Guess now he would be considered a pusher and arrested.

• pamven
    13 years ago

Ok, curiosity got the better of me and i looked up info on Smarties. They have been around since 1949 and look the same today as they did back then....only diff i see is kids back then werent stupid enough to snort them up their noses.

• gabriell_gw
    13 years ago

Years ago I managed a children's clothing store,we had a basket of Smarties on the counter for customers.I got into the habit of having a package of Smarties at 4:30 every day.Sort of a lift. I think Smarties are made in Canada.

• dirtdiver
    13 years ago

Pretty gratuitous "stuff their guts" crack. I imagine the Smarties thing isn't all that different than candy cigarettes and our attempts to smoke punks when we were kids. Just more illicit and unpleasant. Smarties have citric acid in them, I think, so they might do a good job of mimicking the burn of genuine powdered drugs. Stupid thing to do, anyhow. When I was a kid, we went through a phase of playing "Judy Garland" and scarfing all the children's vitamins we could lay hands on. Tasteless, I know...

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

rob33, you are so smart in being concerned about what LF is doing. I think we're trying to figure out what's going on here and there are many different answers. Each one may have some merit.
    Because of my working in the drug culture for a lot of years, I have taken that stance for this post.
    I went to Wikipedia and found this quote:
    "In subculture "smarties" is a street name for ecstasy, because of the latter coming as colourful tablets."

I also saw a quote that said: "Show your colors".
    It seems that some young people are attracted to this candy beyond the sugar content.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Google search.

Here is a link that might be useful: sorties

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't follow you west. I'm pretty sure the kids are snorting the sugary candy, because LF followed it up with, and pixie sticks, and other stuff they crush up.

So what does that have to do with the slang term for ectasy? Is it just another way to "practice"? Although, the step towards wrong doing is more than enough for me to hate the sugary power snorting.

• pamven
    13 years ago

Robin,i think the street name for ectasy is "smarties" could have been Certs,TicTacs...what ever looks like a pill. Pixie Sticks!!! How dare they!!! Blue Pixie Sticks are a gift from the candy gods.......

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know, isn't it a waste of such delightfulness?

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Rob33, I went with your statement below:

"I asked him if any of his friends were taking or experimenting with drugs yet? He told me he knew of kids who smashed up smarties and snorted them."
    According to your statement, LF made the connections between smarties and drugs. Good thing you are following up.

Sponsored
More Discussions