Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We love it BUT

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 16:44

a week of 80 degree weather in this zone in late winter is not good. Things are breaking dormancy that shouldn't. The female flowers on the hazlenuts are opening. They are tiny, about the size of a match head but so pretty with their deep red color. Normally, they would not open until late April but the male catkins are shedding pollen like mad so they think the time is right.

In the last 85 years, I've seen blizzards in May. True, they melted readily but we can still have zero temps. in April. Even the sandhill cranes are confused by this, the winter that never was. They normally would stay around for at least 3 more weeks, fattening up for the long journey to the arctic but they seem to think that spring is really here and some flocks are going north. They should put on another pound at least for the trip.

On the plus side we have been eating so much spinach that our complexion might be tinted a bit green just in time for St. Patricks day. I planted a 3 foot row of radishes about a week ago and some tops are peeking through the soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We love it BUT

Gandle, I'm amazed at what you know and what you observe.
Re your comment"eating so much spinach that our complexion might be tinted a bit green just in time for St. Patricks day".
I remember as a young bride that my mother in law was on a kick on juicing carrots and "offering" the juice to me. I drank it and I turned orange in some places. Especially my eyes and skin.
I eventually learned that moderation and balance was the key.

o

• Posted by pamven z5neastindiana (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 21:39

Im not happy with this unseasonable heat either. I went out and gathered all the mantis cocoons i could find and put them in the fridge and will bring them out again in May. Ive seen them hatch with abnormal high temps in April and then die when the temps returned to normal. Plus there isnt much for them to eat...besides other mantis.

o

I've seen Sandhill Cranes mentioned a number of times on this forum. Could maybe someone post a picture? I have no idea what they are.

o

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 23:15

Big birds...secretive except when they are migrating by the masses.

Here is a link that might be useful: cranes

o

Things got green in a hurry around here. Need to cut grass as soon as the mower don't sink into the ground, everything is soaking wet. As fare as temps go, I should plant seeds for lettuce and peas, but the ground is too wet for turning. The dogwoods are opening up but the petals are not grown enough, usually they open mid to end of April.
Have not been around much, too much going on with family.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here