Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
confused_newbie

hot tub maintenance

confused_newbie
17 years ago

hi all, i am not sure if this is the right place to post but based on my search results it appears appropriate :)

so i bought this house that has been on the market for half a year. and we moved in for about 4 months. there is a hot tub in the garden and it's been covered for the whole time, and there is water in it that either runs at economical mode or not running at all. i am quite sure the water is stale since it hasn't seen any activities for 10 months - what do i need to do to revive the tub? i assume i need to somehow drain the water, clean the tub, refill it with water and some chemical treatment? sorry i know nothing about hot tubs...

Comments (10)

• oscarthecat
    17 years ago

Oscarthecat say: girl who hang around hot tub get in hot water. Translated by Steve in Baltimore County

• beanmomma
    17 years ago

Hi,

There's a pool and spa forum on GardenWeb at the Home Forums in case you don't get answers here...I don't have a hot tub so can't help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool and spa forum

• Janis_G
    17 years ago

I feel for you.
    Used to have some of those- one at each of 3 previous
    homes. Had the last one taken out here at this house.
    They are far more trouble than they are worth IMHO.

I preferred Bromine for the chemical. They are pretty much
    like swimming pools, ph level has to be maintained.
    I'd call my local pool and spa company.

• confused_newbie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks all; i'll repost at the pool and spa forum. i don't particularly want a hot tub but my realtor and everyone recommended against taking it out :(

• sheila
    17 years ago

I had one - it seemed such a good idea at the time. You will have to empty it and clean it and then get the chemical mix right. I ended up not using it that much after the first six months or so and getting the ph right was a real pain.

Eventually, it sprang a leak (mine was a redwood one) and rather than throw good money after bad and fix it I emptied it, filled it with dirt and made it into a giant planter:)

There was one priceless treasure came out of it though. My parents came to visit me from the UK. They had never seen a hot tub let alone actually got into one. I think they were seventy or so at the time. Anyway, I persuaded them into the tub which was situated not too far from the kitchen door. I was doing the dishes, in the background from outside I could hear the tub bubbling for a few minutes and then I heard my mother say, with amazement ~ "Look, Harry, they're floating!". I fell on the floor laughing and I have never and will never forget that.

So I did get a happy memory out of my redwood hot tub. But if I were you I'd get down to the nursery and buy about ten bags of dirt.

• confused_newbie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sheila u know what, maybe i should keep it for another 3 months. parents are gonna be visiting and they are always skeptical about the communal spa / hot tub in their condo cuz they think it's not clean. they never really used theirs, but i am sure they can enjoy mine! provided that i clean it and get the ph right and what not before they arrive... so much work for a little tub!

• mwoods
    17 years ago

I have a happy memory of a hot tub too. When visiting my brother in Texas for my parent's 50th anniversary,the guys all went to a baseball game and my SIL, mom and I all put on our birthday suits and jumped in the hot tub. It was a first for mom and she giggled like a little kid. The next time I saw her a year later,dementia had hit hard and she couldn't remember our doing that. I still smile thinking of her sitting in that water with her little wrinkly face and that wonderful throaty laugh she had.

• sheila
    17 years ago

I forgot to say welcome, confused newbie:)

Even if we aren't much help with your tub problem, stick around. This is a neat place.

• confused_newbie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks :) i learned so much from the tile guys over at the bathroom forum! now i am venturing out to the gardening area. this forum is such a life saver!

• weebus
    17 years ago

We have one, and my DP uses it every night. I think I would have to go before she let go of that hot tub. She has had it for about 8 years now.