Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The second shoe dropped, 1% issue.

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 19:36

Some time ago I wrote about how my city that we have lived in for more than 40 years (in Silicon Valley) have lost the middle class businesses and gone to high end business. And I mentioned the 1%.
I was verbally attacked and threathened with the TOS for the post.Well, the second phase of the project is in progress.
We are losing more of the middle class stores and they are building either a 4 or 5 star hotel, with high end shops.
The 1% is a major player here in Silicon Valley.

Here is a link that might be useful: The 1%

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The second shoe dropped, 1% issue.

My favorite (only) local consignment boutique shows that times have changed, not so many high-end, fancy label clothing in stock as they had in the past, people don't change their wardrobe as much, they wear it out

o
RE: The second shoe dropped, 1% issue.

lilo, it's the same thing here, both at the consignment boutique and Good Will.
The shopping center that is going high end, still has a Walmart, Kohels (sp), a noodle restaurant, Trader Joe's and a Thai restaurant. I have not seen the master plan, so I don't know will happen next.
BTW, if anyone wonders if I dwell on this topic because of sour grapes or whatever. It is not that, because we have done very well here in the valley, our property values have skyrocketed.
I dwell on the subject because I miss my old middle class life style. And I'm afraid that the middle class will be lost forever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here