Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A family card party.

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 19:52

One of DH relatives, who lives back east, is turning 80 next month. His daughter sent us a card (snail mail) inviting us to his birth day by sending a card, (snail mail)for his "card party".
We'll send a card, and DH will write a small note with a memory from their childhood together.
I think this is a totally cool idea.

And while we are talking about celebrating long distance, a friend of mine could not make it to her daughter's house for xmas, so they celebrated via the computer and video. The grands opened the presents, showed them to grandma, then grandma opened her presents and showed them to the grands.
All kinds of ways to connect.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A family card party.

Yes WG - even when alone one doesn't have to be lonely

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 18:37

Last July, when I turned 80, I told my DD I didn't want a party. She honored that request, but surprised me with a "card shower", such as you describe, WG.

I received over 90 cards, so had "ten to grow on". Many of them were from people I didn't--nor will ever-- know. Friends of friends, Facebook folks, former school and work mates, and many folks from my church, all were kind enough to send me birthday greetings nd help me celebrate becoming an octogenarian!

WG, if you'll send me your DH relative's address, I'd be happy to send him a card.

o

mwheel, thanks so much for replying and telling about your experience. It is wonderful. It seems like the younger generation has found a new way to celebrate a birthday.
I read your post aloud to DH, and he thought it was great, but when I asked him if he would want to post the address, he said no.
However, I think it's a great idea.
Thanks for the offer to send a card.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here