Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any recommendations?

Posted by anneliese_32 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 20:23

I need a new pruner and have had it with the cheap ones which last a year or two. I used to bully my way through with my old ones but now I just don't have the strength I used to have. If you have a good one please let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any recommendations?

I'm sure others will have recommendations for you. The kitchen gadget store I took a part time job with does knife and gardening tool sharpening. I've watched the shop owner sharpen gardening tools that I would have tossed, and the tool owners walk away thrilled. Perhaps the tools you already own just need sharpening by a competent professional. Look in your yellow pages for "knife sharpening," call, and ask if they do garden tools too. You may be pleasantly surprised.

o

I have a Felco #7 pruner that has a rotating handle that reduces fatigue and requires less force. After 10 years, still love it.

o

Because of my occupation, and my avocation, I've lived with a pair of pruners on a toolbelt or bag for decades. Like said, keep them sharp and maintained. Look for by-pass style, don't get anvils.

Don't abuse them by trying to use them on material for which they weren't designed. A small folding saw with the appropriate blade can make life easy and prolong the life of your pruners. Hubby uses Felcos, and it is usually considered the standard. You might want to look at A.M. Leonard online, they sell tools to the trade and have their own line of pruners I suspect are their brand equivalent of Felcos for half the price. Expect to pay about forty and up for a good pair of pruners. I like heft to my handles, hubby likes the thin, open handles. Don needs to input on this. I'm sure his hands wrap around a lot of pruners.

o

Thanks for the kind word Caliope, my wrist thanks you too. :^) Good brands are Corona, Felco, ARS, True friends and Silky for many reasons and purposes, there are many that have their specific areas of goodness. Most pruners have removable/replaceable blades and repair kits, look through the linked catalogs. Keep a good small file to sharpen and only move the file forward so you do not dull it. A good stone is an added plus or a diamond embedded sharpener.

Here is the link to Leonard's pruner page.

Am Leonard pruning section

Here is the link to a company I use a lot as it is close and has industrial quality tools for tree and garden care. They supply cities, counties and state entities in Cal., Ar., Nev. and Hi.

Bishop Co.

This company is close and the owner is a god friend of mine...

Orange County Farm Supply • 1826 W Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868

Leonard knock off of Felco...

Leonard Traditional Bypass Pruners

Felco, I have two for over twenty years...

Felco Pruner Original Model 2

Corona made for them by Felco...

Corona Pruner 1in Capacity With Aluminum Handles 8 1/2in Overall

One that Missy has five of and loves for her small hands, both blades cut...

Slimmer Trimmer Hand Shear, 7-1/2" Length

Ars...

ARS Pruner General Purpose 7in Overall

Felco with revolving handle mentioned above...

Felco Pruner Compact With Revolving Handle Model 12

Another Leonard model...

Leonard Hand Shear With Soft Bow Grips 1 5/8in Stainless Steel Blades

Ars for bonsai very fine pruning, I have these too...

ARS Bonsai Scissors

Corona, I have these too...

Corona Forged 1/2in Capacity 7 3/4in Overall

Missy loves these to keep from bleeding with 400 plus roses they also hold the cut material so you can drop it in the can...

ARS LongReach Rose Pruner Fixed 2ft Cut & Hold

Have these and use them a lot...

ARS LongReach Super Light Fixed Length Pruner

Have these and use them a lot almost every day for fine pruning...

ARS LongReach Pruner Telescopic Heavy Duty Tilt Head Series

Loppers are a must have These are what I use...

New! Corona Stratashear3 Loppers

Some like folding some don't, if they close when using it hurts and bleeds. Make sure there is a good locking mechanism....

Leonard Tri-Edge Folding Pruning Saw with 7" Curved Blade

The Felco model...

Felco Folding Pruning Saw Model 600 w/ 6-3/4" Straight Blade

Stationary ...

Leonard Tri-Edge Pruning Saw With Molded handle 13in Curved Blade

o

Thanks Don, now I know what to do during the ballgame, I drool over pruners. My husband will roll his eyes and wonder where he picked me up.
I had a Felco bypass for a short time about 45 years ago but it disappeard from my frontsteps while I ran in to answer the phone. Never found out who swiped it, but it was somebody who knew a good thing.

Jazmynsmom, krista and calliope, thanks for the tips and recommendations. I can sharpen the blades, did that with my old ones but they are just too flimsy in general. I sharpen and set the teeth of sawblades, so sharpening pruners is easy. The advantage you have if you grow up with mainly males in the family, I learned all that male stuff, now the household side is a completely diffferent story, LOL.

o

I wasn't thinking male/female so much as I don't know your gardening experience. I seldom hit it spot on with people and never know if I'm talking down to them or their eyes are glazing over. I didn't grow up with males, but I do the wiring/electricals in my house, and the plaster work and painting. The soldering iron belongs to me too and I have the fishing tackle box. I know Jazmynsmom builds Murphy beds, too. rofl.

o

After being tied to a pair of Felcos for 20 plus years. It was the first thing I did after getting to work. I think the wise thing to do is try the different models and select the one that feels most comfortable.

o

I have Felcos so old that I have no idea *how* old! Bypass one and all. The two favorites are the one that holds the snipped branch and a very small light-weight that fits into my back pocket. Gandle is right about trying out a bunch of them; take a half-inch stick and go snip, snip, snip. If your hand aches after ten snips or the handles just aren't comfortable, don't bother to buy. A few years ago I donated a large box full of bad fits, some were gifts and some were bought, but none were worth keeping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here