Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_gardener

rant: Garden Web and other languages.

west_gardener
12 years ago

This is my personal rant. Gardenweb and other languages.

Below is from the Swedish board. Sigh.....

Hej

Har ett par gamla Rhododendron som vi flyttade f�r n�gra �r

sedan. De har blivit d�liga men det kommer bra tillv�xt nedifr�n. Kan vi s�ga bort de gamla grenarna fast det kommit en bit i p� v�ren?

Comments (9)

• shilty
    12 years ago

West Gardner - I am surprised that you cannot read this.

I can.

It says: "Shilty cannot read Swedish."

On a serious note - I think there used to be a 'translation' page via Google - you could put in the foreign language and get a loose translation into English. Haven't tried it for years. May be gone, or much more sophisticated than before.

• Janis_G
    12 years ago

Lord luv a duck!
    I got the Rhododendron part.
    I have no idea what the rest of it says but it looks serious to me.

• shilty
    12 years ago

Google did a translation of sorts.. now we know...

Translate
    Hi
    Have an old pair of Rhododendron as we moved fi �� r ye �� � �� degrees r
    Then. They have been di �� compatible but will good tillv� �� xt nedifr� �� n Can we si �� ga remove old branches though it made âÂÂâÂÂsome of the pi �� �� we clean?

• mawheel
    12 years ago

First, I didn't know there was a Swedish Board; second, West Gardener, why would you go there if you can't read Swedish? (Please know I'm not trying to be rude or clever--just curious!)

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I used to live in Sweden and I do speak and read swedish so that is not the issue I venting about, it was the �� r ye �� � �� character , just about every post had these characters.
    I read foreign newspapers, blogs, boards etc...but
    GW is the only one that gives me trouble.

Thanks for taking the time to translate, shilty.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm interested in planting a couple of rhodies. I've seen them in Scandinavia,(cold country) in Gwinnett County, GA (hot and humid) Northen CA, (cool).

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Janis, "Lord luv a duck! LOL,

• petaloid
    12 years ago

West, I've had that trouble with Spanish, where the accent marks, tildes and such, print out as crazy random symbols instead -- who knows why?

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BTW, the characters have followed me into the GP. Sigh.
    petaloid, I'm not sure why this is happening here at GW, but I suspect that they need some software that can "handle" foreign languages.