Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning

Posted by gloriam z5PA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 21:06

My flowering brushes need to be cut back. My husband didn't do it in the fall and he fell and broke his ankle so I get to do the job of this cutting back all my flowering brushes and don't know when to do it. Can someone please tell me when to do .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning

Gloria, we were always taught to prune flowering bushes right after the flowers are past. If done now you are cutting off incipient flower buds. We never waited but began pruning as the last flower faded. Understand I'm speaking from zone 4 and 5 experience but doubt that it is different in other zones.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 18:05

We're starting to prune our butterfly bush (Buddleia?) next week. It keeps blooming right up till frost, so we learned/were told to wait till late February or Mid-March and then cut it back to 12 or 15 inches from the ground, but definitely before any new growth appears. With the Winter we've had--and are still having--we're in the right time frame. Our bush is ten years old and has bloomed prolifically, every year, and we've always pruned it in the manner I described.

o

Hi gloriam, we live in CA, zone 10, and I go by the same rule that gandle mentioned.

o

Thanks to all the responed to this, It has to be done so as soon as I can I will prune them

o

The weather was nice on Saturday so I got to work on pruning my flowering brushes. I cut the dead off of the pinie bruhes and saw new growth coming up. The butterflies bushes got cut down and my one neighbor helped me cut the hard branches that were thick. And she even emptyed my can. The flags were dead so I just had to pull on them. This winter and spring is sure weird, one day its cold, next day it warm and teasing us. So pruning is done but need to clean up leaves in the next couple of weeks.

o

Good for you, gloriam. I bet you are glad that is done.

o

Yes I am glad that is done, Now to play this wait and see what the weather is for this week. I have to clean up the leaves that was from fall. I asked my hubby if he has anything that will pick the leaves up and he does and it mulches them also. So glad for that. I even got myself a box cutter and blades today so that I can cut up boxes, and don't have to depend on any one else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here