Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnespuffin

Adventures in Cooking- --Chapter 2

agnespuffin
12 years ago

I hadn't paid much attention to what the Husband Cook had been reading, so I was greatly surprised when I walked into the kitchen the other morning and he was fixing French Toast.

I hadn't made that for Ages! But he had been reading "Joy of Cooking" the night before and decided that he could do French Toast. He thought the seasonings in the recipe were not what we would like, so he changed them. I'll admit. He done did it again! Perfection!!

And yesyesyes, I am going to keep him!

Comments (14)

• User
    12 years ago

Lucky you. Should he start a small cafe?

• jazmynsmom
    12 years ago

I say you start planting cookbooks of cuisines you favor in and among your posessions for him to "discover" and "surprise you" with...

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Did I tell you that he made a Chiffon Cake the other day? All I had to do was tell him how to determine when the egg whites had "peaked" correctly. It was his first made-from-scratch cake.

It was a little dry because he had set the oven a little high. (it's hard to read those tiny numbers) I'll bet that he will watch for things like that from now on.

• lilosophie
    12 years ago

I think this is wonderful! He is happy, makes you happy, what more do you want? He is a jewel in the husband category, do anything it takes to keep him!

• gabriell_gw
    12 years ago

You're a lucky lady.

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

And he's a great guy aside from his new cooking prowess! Christy and I still speak fondly of spending time with you two.

Reading cookbooks was surely one of the ways I became so interested in cooking. If you're at all adventurous or become confident in your cooking, I think the more you read them the more you can adapt recipes to suit your own tastes and those of your loved ones. Chiffon cake too? Be still my heart.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

I am envious!

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Coconut...Ahh, yes! Those Get Togethers that we used to have. Remember one of them, both he and Christy had just had little thingies removed from their noses. Hers was still pink and she wasn't too happy about how it looked. Well, tell her that he has had a couple more removed from his nose. The last one left a nice square scar. You would think that they would have thought about trying to leave jagged edges or something so that it would like a birthmark or something....But a square????? Geesh!!

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Agnes, I agree with gabriell and anneliese: you're a lucky lady and I am envious!!

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Your situation sounds good to me. It's true that old dogs can learn new tricks.
    My DH does not cook at all, but after all these years, he has decided to do clean up duty. I cook and and he cleans up.

• pkramer60
    12 years ago

I think it is so wonderful that he is doing this and enjoying so much! Be careful, before you know it he will register here and head over to the cooking forum.

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pk... LOL...it was either learn to cook or starve. My balance has gotten so bad that he would rather cook than pick me up off the floor several times during each meal prep. And get this....he has to clean up after himself!! I just sit back and grin..There IS a payback time.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

I'm enjoying reading about his adventures and your past GardenWeb meetings. Y'all make me smile.

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

Not just cookbooks are good to increase interest. I recently read Giselle Clark's "Into the Frying Pan" and another by an author on what it was like to start up a B&B, both in the biography section of the Library. I enjoyed not just the good writing, but that these were by "local" DC, and Chesapeake Bay)folks and ~yes! good recipes, altho Clark's do indeed have the high-fat tendency of a top-notch chef. I've also found tasty recipes by authors of mysteries and other fiction, so look for pleasingly light reading as well as recipes.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions