Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weed_whackin

any websites that tell you when to take action?

weed_whackin
13 years ago

I like working in the yard but I'm not too good at "doing the right thing at the right time"...would be nice to find a site that leads me in the right direction.

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

You ought to visit your local bookstore and grab a copy of "Month by Month Gardening in Georgia". I think there's an edition for every state, written by experts from the region. You could probably find an edition on line, too.

A quickie search for seasonal gardening calenders resulted in finding Walter Reeves' website. I think you'll find that it just what you are looking for. And don't forget to make friends with your local extension office, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seasonal Gardening for Georgia

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

Hi Weed. Garden Web has specific forums for many states and one is the Georgia Gardener. They also have forums for regions. The Georgia forum looks to have some traffic right now so should be worth checking out with any questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Gardening Forum

• meldy_nva
    13 years ago

I'd also suggest starting your own calendar or notebook with dividers for each week. Note the date/weather and what you need to do as well as what you actually did accomplish. Noting natural events such as the lilac/forsythia/crocus blooming can be a big help in following years to judge when spring has sprung. In just a couple years you'll have a useful reference that applies to your specific locale.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

I'll add to what Meldy suggests, keep a diary of the times your own plants are blooming. Why? Not every plant is on the bloom in "spring be dormant in cold weather" route, e.g. bergenia, dicentra, primrose... so you would know how to care for your own specific plants year round. It's heck trying to move a plant you can't even find come autumn. I'd move dicentra right after it quit blooming before it got too hot and I could still find it, for example. I think the number one piece of advice I give to new gardeners (which you may not be, but it's good "beginning advice") is wait an entire year before digging up gardens in a new home to see what is already planted and what does well and what doesn't.

Observation goes a very long way in gardening.

• meldy_nva
    13 years ago

Grinning at Rob:
    I was trying to keep it simple :)

I myself note not only bloom dates, but when various trees leaf out, the soil temperature when I transplant or plant seeds, and whether I used row cover to 'cheat' the weather. In spring and fall I note the temperature at 6a and what if any frost. I've also begun noting the quantity of canning done, and when -- especially for apples, which I buy, and now know the best prices are in November!

Since often squirrels steal plant labels, I rely on photos taken monthly (more or less) to show where what is growing. After all, I'm the one who planted 15 different varieties of lily, each neatly labelled, only to discover the next spring that squirrels and storms had left me with two labels for over 30 locations of bulbs. I never did figure out all the proper names for each group -- I admit that one pink lily looks very much like any other pink lily unless it's ruffled or marked or somehow individualized by more than size or bloom date.