Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epic93

Making a Gardening App. A question...

epic93
12 years ago

I'm a developer, and a gardener, so I figured I should combine my hobbies for a moment and make a (drumroll...) garden calander app.

It'll run on Windows, Mac, Linux, and eventually, Android.

But I want this to be useful for everyone, not just me. So...

What would you like it to do?

Comments (6)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

I'm not sure I catch your drift. Do you mean it would remind people when to plant, prune, etc? Or tell them in which zones the plant they're looking at would survive, or if it is perennial/annual/biennial?

Welcome to the Party!

-Robin

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

If you write a garden app don't forget the iPad. That's what I use. I use both "free" and I also buy apps.
    "But I want this to be useful for everyone, not just me."
    Make the app both local and universal.
    I live in Silicon Valley, Ca. I want a simple calendar that lists the last frost dates. The best buys for plants, seeds and bulbs for my area and a way to compare the cost of buying over the net including S&H, or driving to a local nursery, spending money on gas. Get data for all climate zones.That's just the beginning.

BTW, if you write for the computer, as you mentioned, and you want to transfer it to an app for other media, write it that way.

That's just the beginning.
    Looking forward to see your app.

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

How many other apps for gardening are available? What are their best/worst features, or maybe most/least used?

I went through a spell of trying out various garden design programs (let's not get into the cost, but it was considerable). After a couple years and twelve different programs, I ended up using what I found to be the most realistic and flexible design aids: a date book to track "when" and graph paper to track "where", and a list of websites to help guess maturity sizes and appropriate cultivation.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

There are tons and tons of garden apps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Apps

• lizharley
    12 years ago

I love my iPhone and iPad. I've tried just about all the gardening apps out there. Some are really good. My current favorite one is a free one call Plant Pictures. It's simple, but handy - and I think that's the key to making a good app. My advice: download/purchase every gardening app you find and write down the pros/cons of each and go from there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Pictures for iPhone/iPad

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

lizharley, thanks for the link. I have not downloaded the app to my ipod yet, but the description sounds interesting.
    You have to be at least 17 to down load it.
    "Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes".
    Why would someone have to be at least 17 to download a plant app?

Lol, what are those plants doing anyway?
    See the description below.

This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad.

Free

Category: Reference
    Released: Feb 28, 2012
    Version: 1.0.0
    Size: 5.0 MB
    Language: English
    Seller: Stevenson Software, LLC
    � Stevenson Software, LLC

You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes

Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad.Requires iOS 5.0 or later.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions