Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robert_alabama

What happened to the old GP days?

Robert_alabama
16 years ago

Ruthanne, Skip, Andie, Marie, etc. etc. etc. "Your most embarassing moment", "What is it with dogs", "I need a wife"

There are so many people that I have known over the last 12 years on the GP. Where are they all today?

I guess times and people come and they go, just like we all do.

Comments (100)

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Great pictures Lynnie. Wasn't the one of you, Rebecca, Jo & Marie taken in Ruth Ann's back yard? She always had the opening party of the GP get togethers in Chicago, and, if I'm remembering correctly, those could be very late nights.

• instar8
    16 years ago

That one was taken at Jo's house, before we went to RA's, at the 2nd GT...you came to 3rd one...or maybe the 4th?

Somewhere, i have pics of the HUGE GT we had the next year in KY, and the Ohio one that went from house to house, plus the Beer Garden party at Niagara Falls with Doug, Barb and Caitlyn(Lissa the cops's daughter), Laura and Steve.

• josie_il_z5
    16 years ago

Lynn, are you still in Indiana? If you can find it, post one of the Ky group, with Robert giving us the lowdown on all the trees when we roamed the Cave Hill Cemetery. And where was it you went after that -- somewhere in the mountains but I don't recall what state.

• gardenkat
    16 years ago

I joined GardenWeb in 2001 and spent way too many hours at the GP over the years. And made a good many friends here too. Some were cyberspace friends and some became friends in real life. But since moving to Guatemala a couple years ago its much harder for me to get online. I miss the GP but when I do drop in and lurk I also feel its not the same as it once was. But I do still drop in from time to time and enjoy it when I do.

• rtwo
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, I came to the party around 97 or 98 and G'anns mountain stories and marie's story about kudsu? and alot of the others that posted at that time keep me going. I miss all of the good times that I had just reading everyones post. I use to wake my husband up laughing so loud that he would come in the living room to see if I was okay. He thought that I was crazy but it was a good crazy. The good ole days. This is the first time I have been back for about three years and seeing this post just made my day.

• janetm_md
    16 years ago

I'm so glad I popped in to see many faces from the old days and hear what folks are up to. I first came to the Garden Party as a newleywed probobly around 96 before DH and I bought our first and only house. Its so good to remember so many of those funny threads people are mentioning... the I wanna wife thread, etc, etc. I wasn't a big poster even then but did go to several of the Chicago Gatherings and one of the gatherings down at the Biltmore where I came with good old Marie from GA who I'm so glad people have mentioned because I haven't heard from her in ages. My life has certainly changed most significantly after many years happily childfree DH and I chose a new path. These days I spend a lot of time chasing after our daughter Joy who is now two and likes to "help" Mommy plant flowers. I keep in touch with several folks who I met here and consider dear friends. Happy Spring everyone!

-Janet (got the Princess Di lookalike award many years ago at those Chicago gatherings)

• lindac
    16 years ago

OMG...it's the Princess!! The sweet shy princess....who somehow...what am I remembering?? Stood on a chair and told everyone to "BE QUIET!!!" LOL!!
    So glad to hear a Rotten Tot has entered your lives! You are right....things will never be the same.....and remember eventually she will present you with grand children....if you are lucky!
    Check it out....back row...pink shirt, between Liz and Louise...not far from Bill of climbing the tower in an ice storm in dress shoes, fame.
    {{gwi:141432}}
    Doesn't she look like Princess Di?
    And it's the Martini gal peering around Rena..
    Linda C.

• janetm_md
    16 years ago

LindaC yep that was me with the pink shirt on. Too bad I don't look as much like princess di these days as I did ten plus years ago. I always find amusing people think I'm shy based on my online "persona". I just don't post much which I guess gets me that reputation. Anybody who meets me in person has a different impression altogether. Actually Linda I "run" into you periodically over on the Cooking forum and think I even made some Christmas cookies this year you posted on a thread over there a couple of years ago that I saved and still make things from- Oranged walnuts from Jen in California who used to post here, etc.

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Janet! How great to see you posting! Looks like this thread has brought a lot of old timers out of the woodwork.

• agnespuffin
    16 years ago

I was Aileen back in those days. I think I went on five Get Togethers. The First Annual Hillbilly GT, The First Semi-Annual Hillbilly GT, and three or four Kentucky GT.

I remember one year we brought our White Elephants. There were some hilarious things. We numbered everything and drew for it. Nikki brought a good sized box of her ex-husband's old neckties. I got it! My DH looked though them and found a few that he liked. I made him replace them with his own least favorite ones. I took it to the next GT. I have often wondered what happened to it.

We also had a book swap. The ones that no one wanted got left on a table in the motel lobby.

• mwoods
    16 years ago

Aileen,do you remember what I got at the white elephant? How can I put it delicately? Don't think I can except to say it was a "male" planter. This was a pass along and I think I sent it to Nora. Boy was that thing ugly.

• agnespuffin
    16 years ago

Oh, my Yessss! I also got an ugly little garden gnome. It disappeared one night. We have never had anything stolen before, so I think that my DH must have paid someone to sneak it off while I wasn't looking.

• instar8
    16 years ago

Are you talking about the yellow vase that looks like a urinal?? I still have that darned thing!

I didn't know how many folks were still around with new names, been out of the loop...and can't believe i'm having trouble putting names to so many faces in that chicago group! Yikes, i really AM brain-damaged.

Jo, i'm still looking for pics!

lynnie b

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh, Katie! How's Guatemala? Did you identify your plants? Tell us more!

• gardenkat
    16 years ago

Guatemala is wonderful, although I do miss having internet access at home. But I've so enjoyed my latest visit to the GP that I'm going to make an effort to get online more than the usual 1 hour a week. I don't want to hijack this thread, will start a new one re: "life in Guatemala" later this week (when I'm in town again at the internet cafe. My time's up for today.)

• mwoods
    16 years ago

lynnie...that was another vase. Mine had a long projection on it...need I say more?

• mary_md7
    16 years ago

Hearing Ruthanne's name makes me think of two things: Her "3-inch spacing rule" and her garden globes. What a riot!

• agnespuffin
    16 years ago

My thoughts, and I may be wrong, is that the GP lost so many of the interesting characters when we got that bunch of people that had been kicked off another forum. They hijacked every post that they could and tried to inject sexual meanings into a lot of things. They were insufferable.

One guy from the UK was forever asking us why we didn't do things like they did in England. The woman from Germany didn't have a clue about America and was either not too bright or didn't have a good grasp of the language. I still remember when someone asked for advice about refrigerators and she told them that they didn't need one. They could just put the stuff like milk and butter out on the window ledge like she did.

Anyway, the little food fights that all forums have from time to time turned into constant garbage hurls and many just decided that the GP wasn't worth the trouble any more.

• User
    16 years ago

Have been hanging around here since 98 and started posting to any measurable degree in 01. Remember much of what has been mentioned. Never been to a get together but would love to meet in person. Disneyland is a few miles down the road so if any one goes there let me know and I will try to meet up. There are gobs of more interesting places to see in the Los Angeles basin area, just ask me. ; )

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    16 years ago

I also think a lot of people dropped off when it became ( for a while) pay-to-play. That was around the same time as the folks Aileen mentioned arrived too, in fact I think some of the comments at the time rather hastened Spike's decision.

I'm still here. I miss Ruthanne. I posted a question on one of the forums, and she dived in and urged me to introduce myself. And here I still am, although I post less often. 10 years or so now.

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Oh yeah - those people. They actually kept me away for a while until I decided I was here first & they weren't going to drive me away from my cyber-living room. They all disappeared around 9/11, although I can't remember the exact thing that triggered their departure. But yes, Sara, you're right. Spike's "pay to play" policy was a direct result of their shenanigans.

• agnespuffin
    16 years ago

At that time, the $15.00 fee was a lot more in Euro dollars. I believe that one of them was from Australia and it would have been about 30 bucks for her at the exchange rates then. Spike got tired of the complaints and may have banned them too.

• Robert_alabama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So........I remember the first time I met lower case suzi, aka Calliope and her braids, and a few others. I had never met anyone off of the internet before and this was going to be a challenging new experience. Good, but new. I made the long drive from Alabama to Chicago for the get together, checked into my room and immediately went to the bar of the Holiday Inn where I was staying in Napersville having a couple of cold ones to wind down.

Low and behold several women came in and as I was sitting there sipping my second or third beer I heard conversation two or three seats over that sounded GardenWebinesc talk about RuthAnn's basement and pink. I'm sure they thought I was some lonely salesman looking for a pickup!

I didn't know who they were by face, but I immediately knew who they were. I voiced up and introduced myself by saying, "You must be talking about RuthAnn". That was my first GW contact beyond the internet.
    Such good people.

• agnespuffin
    16 years ago

Oh The First Time! Going to actually meet strangers from the Internet was a scary thing. G'ann had made the arrangements. We were to meet at 12:00 noon at Shoney's at Pigeon Forge.

We decided that what trouble could anyone possibily get into at Shoney's at the middle of the day. We decided that if we didn't like their looks we would just walk out. So we went. There were only four couples and one couple brought two young children.

We were standing outside of the restaurant, waiting and getting up nerve to go in and meet new friends when a dirty black pickup truck wheeled into the parking lot. It had a bumper sticker that said, "Manure Happens." That's G'ann, I said. Yep, the Gal with the cats from Blueberry Mountain.

• calliope
    16 years ago

I'm sooo glad I made it to one of the get-togethers. I got it in my mind I was gonna, said why-not? and just did it. My dh was incredulous that I'd hop on a plane and head off to god knows where to meet up with who knows what. rofl. It just so happened that a couple days before I left, I had bought a couple of lottery tickets on a lark (seldom gamble) and hit it on two of them the exact amount of my plane fare and hotel fare. I decided that it was just meant to be.

Since I was without wheels (Good grief no I wasn't going to rent a car at O'Hare and drive anywhere near Chicago) I was at the mercy of the others to get here and there and the invitatons were forthcoming from Mary B and also Shirley the garlic lady from California. What a hoot they were! I had brought an Amerindian Cooking book from the Eastern Tribes for Suzanne of the Seminole tribe and somebody in the hotel stole it before I could give it to her. I hope they choked on the groundhog stew.

Robert was dashing and good looking, I remember that! Sweet too and when he and Dorie got hitched, I thought that was a good match. Everyone was what I expected, only neater in person. I even bought a new swim suit, rofl, and I think Spike, his gal and I were the only ones to hit the pool!

• janetm_md
    16 years ago

Memories...My first of two Chicago gatherings travel didn't go quite as planned (does it ever) and I met poor Ruthanne in a most unexpected way. The plane was delayed and I wound up arriving in Chicago at some ungodly hour. I called Ruthanne and let her know I'd arrived and originally somebody was going to come pick me up but since it was so late Ruthanne said to take a limo. I had NO idea how far out she lived. Originally the limo was going to take me half way but the limo driver was getting off work, lived near Ruthanne,and took me the whole way. So here I am expecting a minivan to pick me up-nope I got I believe a white stretch limo all to myself and arrived quite in style. The looks on Ruthanne and Marie from GA's faces when I showed up at something like 3am ... priceless. Poor Reb from Texas was sleeping and missed my whole grand entrance, the likes of since I have never repeated. Great trip and still loved seeing Ruthannes basement-still makes me smile.

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

The first GW get together I went to was in Houston in 1998. People I told thought I was crazy to travel 200 miles from Dallas to meet a bunch of "weirdos" off the Internet & several darkly inferred that I was about to meet up with a pack of ax murderers!

I guess we were lucky that this site mainly attracted responsible people of a certain age from the beginning. It made my introduction to cyberspace a whole lot more pleasant than it might have been otherwise.

• agnespuffin
    16 years ago

The present day posters are going to get the idea that we, the oldies but goldies, don't appreciate them. But that's not true! There are still wonderful and interesting people here. The big difference is that there were some real off the wall characters, some unusually interesting people. Remember the woman whose husband bought an old missle silo and they were going to make their home in it? There were just many, many more posting. I guess a lot of them just found something else to do with their time.

Some like dicken and Sally Ann have died and can't be replaced. We lost CatDude and his jokes when Misskittycatdude died.

In fact, I think I miss the jokes too. There used to be a lot of jokes posted. There's nothing quite like starting the day with a good joke and a nice cup of coffee.

My favorites were the groaners. For example.....

Where do you find a dog with no legs?
    Right where you left him.

• mary_md7
    16 years ago

Back in the day, I was probably more careless than I would be now. I actually gave Kim (FirstKim) and Janet my home address so they could show up on my doorstep for a trip downtown to the National Arboretum. What was I thinking? But I've seen them both multiple times since (and Pidge, too, of course!) and Janet & Greg were at our wedding.

I met Andie at O'Hare since we were arriving about the same time for a Chicago get-together. And I dragged DH (then fiance) to one as well (he had a great time).

Not an ax murdering in the bunch.

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

I remember someone [on another forum] commenting that if you got lost while driving out in the country and had to ask directions, be sure you asked somebody who was gardening. The OP was trying to indicate that, as a whole, gardeners are safer to deal with than the general population. I reckon that OP never thought about all the sharp blades most gardeners have at hand. OTOH, IMO it is true that there are fewer dangerous gardeners than is the ratio for the general population. After all, we can get rid of our aggression by whacking weeds, tossing compost, and chopping briars.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Very early on, I had to be away from my computer (at work) for several days because of knee surgery. Some sweethearted woman actually printed off and sent me (snail mail) practically a whole week's worth of postings. It seemed like an entire ream of paper! Would that have been anyone who is still around?

We commonly sent each other cards, care packages, and an incredible amount of love and support.

• firstkim
    16 years ago

LOL, Mary! I did the same first for Janet (giving her my home address), when we made our first trip together to the Philly flower show. Unfortunately, I gave her bad directions, telling her to make a right rather than a left off the exit ramp. Good thing I gave her my phone number, too! As I remember, another sometime Partier wasn't as brave and was only willing to meet up with us at the show itself. Janet and I were so proud of ourselves - we met, enjoyed ourselves and returned home alive and well without a single axe scar to show for it. We were among the first Partiers to meet in person.

Dorie, I think that may have been Janet who sent that to you.

• Jeannie Cochell
    16 years ago

I started posting here around 1998, never made it to any of the get-togethers but remember many of the posters mentioned here. I know I saved the Dog in Elk posts because I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life.

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Yes, I met Mary at O'Hare, but before that I met Angela at DFW for the flight to Chicago. Then the three of us tried to find RA's house & that wasn't easy, but maybe it was easier than finding the way back to the Holiday Inn after the party on Friday night.

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

I'm sorry I missed the old days at the GP, sounds like my kind of fun times.
    I lurked for a long time before I got up the nerve to post
    anything.

I remember my first meeting. It was in Kentucky.
    Gillian and her husband and their 2 little boys came.
    Nora was there and Robin, Ed and little feller. Michelle
    surprised us and what a great surprise it was. She was and still is a HOOT!
    Neil got sick the last morning there and I had to rush him to a nearby hospital, I think we spent a couple of days there.

The next time several of us rented a farm house in West Virginia. It was way out in the boonies. Wanda had flown to Chattanooga and my sister, Wanda and I drove to WV stopping along the way. KJ came and brought an adorable kitten she had just rescued. Di came and made crab cakes for our dinner. Maryanne, Michelle and Gillian came. We had a ball.
    Michelle made her famous comopolitans and I'm not real sure what happened after that, but I ended up in a Little Abner
    T shirt that had King Reunion emblazoned across the front.

Isn't it wonderful that so many people came to the GP as
    strangers and ended up with friends, great times and forever memories.

Even though I haven't been here as long as others I have had
    so much fun here. I enjoy reading about the posts and people that were here before I came.

• Robert_alabama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes janis, we remember you. The janis_g has always been a part of our early days. You weren't that far behind. Evidently that was one KY get together I didn't make. I do remember one where it rained all day and Josie's husband Dutch had a real problem with us making a field day at the local Wal-Mart garden center. That was funny, I wish I had the pictures still.

• agnespuffin
    16 years ago

I still stay hear from Hummer from time to time. I wrote her and told her to check out the GP again. She reminded me of the Kentucky GT at Bardstown (I missed that one) Dutch and Josie had a room with a non-working toilet. Dutch went down to the desk to complain and the clerk suggested that he go across the street to the service station and use theirs. that's the one where it rained and they ended up in the Walmart Garden Center. A good time was had by all.

I don't remember which one it was, but some of the couples went up a day early so the men could play a round of golf. First time my DH had ever played on real hills. It was an experience for him.

• helena_gardener
    16 years ago

Was searching for some unusual shrubs to place in my garden and a link at the gardenweb popped up. Clicked there, decided to peek in at the party to see if I saw some old faces and found this link. My lucky day!!

I am in the group picture LindaC posted . . . standing next to Ruthanne's mom (with the hat) . . . I am in blue and white. Have thought about many over the years. MO Bill, Cora Lee, Ruthanne, Pinky, Reb and many many more. Have had the fortune of continuing (off and on) conversations outside the forum with several others.

I had to smile reading through here .. . some of the oldies packed up plants the year our gardens were hit with a severe hailstorm which I have never forgotten. Then of course sadness at the loss of dicken and Sally Ann . .. it has been quite a stroll down memory lane and I am glad I took a moment to stop in!!
    -Helen in KS

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Helen! This thread is bringing everyone out of the woodwork. Good to see you posting.

• anneliese_32
    16 years ago

Reading this post I came to the conclusion that I must be the champion lurker of the Garden Party. I remember the meeting in KY and was tempted to show up at Cave Hill and wait until you all got there, introduce myself and come along. I know, a lot of gall, but then I had to work and you were spared the intrusion.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

You should have showed up! There's nothing like meeting a bunch of these people in person to make you feel like you've found a whole new batch of best friends.

• nandina
    16 years ago

Robert and Dorie, I will come in from lurkdom to say that I was the only one in this group who attended your wedding! It was a beautiful day, a lovely reception. Nice to hear from both of you!

• rosiekins
    16 years ago

My daughter was only 11 when I stumbled into GP in 1999. All these years later, I can remember her log in, but not my own for Michele, The Crone, from New Zealand. Funny things memories. Without this GP my life would be the poorer, despite the split after the tragedy of 9/11, for it introduced me to some incredible people, some of whom I am still blessed to count among my dearest friends, old faces I know most of you would recognise. They are all well, older, wiser, funnier, I thank this place for giving them to me. And I wish you all continued happiness as we all roll onwards, on this everchanging roadtrip in cyberspace. Great memories, great friends - long may both GP forums continue.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

Michele,
    Hi!
    Glad to see you pop in.
    How are Rose and your mom (Barbara-right?)?
    Are you still busy weaving and doing your hand-made papers?
    Hope life has been treating you well.
    Surely have missed you.

• rosiekins
    16 years ago

Hey Wanda, so good to see you too. My Rose is now working in the natural health field, all grown up and beautiful with it. My lovely Mum, Barbie, had series of strokes last year and is now in what we euphemistically designate as 'secure care' - dementia has taken so much of her from us all. Old age is not for the weak of spirit I fear. I have been studying hard (and selling quite well too, brag brag!!) on the fine arts side and am now adding some psych papers so I can practise art therapy which is a very young profession here on the edge of the world. Life is very good, so long as I keep peddling!!

• northerner
    16 years ago

Hello! I'm another of the old-timers. Just to set the record straight I left around the time of 9/11 because the forum went to pay to play and I was a poor student from the UK and couldn't afford it.

Since then I've completed my computing course at uni and got an M.Sc. in Computing to show for my efforts. I had a short spell as a distance learning tutor before deciding that as there wasn't enough work available I'd retrain in another area instead. I have now been busy in the performing arts. I am a storyteller and singer (with a little bit of drumming thrown in for good measure). This is something I'll be doing this summer (see link).

My name is on the Guest List (under T for Taylor) but the Guest List page wasn't up when I looked a few minutes ago. They are probably updating it.

Cheers,
    Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitby Folk Week

• sps_7_14
    16 years ago

Hi old friends,
    Been a long time and just lurk now and then. Lots of changes, home, state, gardens and friends, but always think of my GP friends. I had to look up my old password, and realized that my AARP, Medicare passwords are easier to find than GP! LOL

Especially this time of the year I visit LindaC in my mind, Suzi, Andi, Liz and Robert. Ruth Anns, newly painted bathroom and the pergola was a story that still makes me smile. I recently shared the Dogs in Elk, with friends that they read as they went elk hunting and they laughed till they cried. Tammy was a trip and would never attend our swaps in N. CA although she was invited. I miss my old CA friends and hope that Maggie and others drop in to say hello.

As you may remember, we moved after 40 years in CA to our home state of WA. Exchanged the Salvias and Cannas for Ferns and Rhodies. We love our new life and being with the hundreds of relatives has been wonderful.

At the time of my son's illness your prayers were so important and he is now the founder and director of his own foundation. Middle son is now here with us in the PNW and husband is retired. I brought plants with me especially those from trades on GP and from the Get-together. That was one of the most fun events I have ever attended and Robert knocking on the motel room and saying 'Candy Gram' was one of the funniest moments of all.

Linda, I use chicken wings for my soup and everyone loves it. What a lot of fun we used to have. Dicken, he is in my heart and I still cry when I reread the emails from him. It was a sweet time and life is far more busy now that we are with all our families.

Have a wonderful spring, we are still in freezing nights here in Seattle but the ferns and Rhodies are happy.
    Here is the link to my son's website for those who remember Ron.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ophoenix.org

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Shirley, Hi! Great to see you posting. I think of you when the flowers that grew from the seeds you sent me when I moved to Tyler start blooming as some of them are just about to now.

• lindajewell
    16 years ago

HI all, reading this post took me down "memory lane". This was one of the first places I joined way back when I was new to computers and the internet. I was known as LindaJ(still am) but was not very memorable! I enjoyed my time here and had some many good belly laughs, gained more knowledge of plants and was lucky enough to share plants with many. I left when it became a little nasty around here, plus Spike wanting us to pay was not in my budget at the time. I left and never came back (until now) but would lurk from time to time.
    I miss the "old days" with the parties we would have, the honesty and friendship. Lots of good memories.........

Linda J

• Linda_e
    16 years ago

Talk about a walk down memory lane! Nora, Suzi, Linda C., Robert, "Princess Di," and so many others of the "old timers" on the GP. I think I joined in '95 or '96--in the earliest days. I've kept in touch with Andie, Reb, Linda C., Angela, Ruthanne, and a few others. And how well I remember that first get-together in Houston, Andie. LOL That's when I met you and Reb for the first time.

And Lord yes, I remember "Tammers." I was also a scamee, but there was another GPer who took me and Mary S. on a ride. ROFLMAO

Does anyone hear from Suzanne anymore? Did she & her DH ever get moved to their mountain top in Arkansas? And what happened to the Rev (Michael)?

I think Suzi is right as to why the GP has changed so much. I don't have as much computer time as I did back then, so I don't visit much anymore. And I drifted away when, like Andie said, the tone changed so much. Unlike Andie, I didn't come back and take a stand, though I should have.

This is a wonderful post. Thank you so much!

Sponsored
More Discussions