Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote 12 April 2012

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 0:24

First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn numbers into letters with ASCII - and we thought it was a typewriter. Then we discovered graphics, and we thought it was a television. With the World Wide Web, we've realized it's a brochure. ~Douglas Adams

It was a typical net.exercise - a screaming mob pounding on a greasy spot on the pavement, where used to lie the carcass of a dead horse. ~Author Unknown

A computer terminal is not some clunky old television with a typewriter in front of it. It is an interface where the mind and body can connect with the Universe and move bits of it about. ~Douglas Adams

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote 12 April 2012

And all that before the I-Pod.
BTW, is there a SF writer who has found something which has not been written about before or realized today, as the likes of Assimov, Clark and Heinlein, etc. did?

o

If the pic below, (see link) is the Douglas you quoted, he sure has a lot of sparkle in his eyes, lol, he looks like fun.I have to look into this further.
Thanks for the quotes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Douglas

o

The middle quote is the one I am tempted to post in Hot
Topics - I lurk there but don't post - the quote states precisely why I don't wish to post :)

o

lilod, in the middle quote, are you talking about beating a dead horse?

o

Yes, I am

o

Thanks for the reply, lilod.

o

Mind if I post it in HT?

o

Oh, do so, Don! Don't you think it is most appropriate?

o

Yes, going there in a minute. ;^)

o

Well lets see how many spew coffee all over their screens and keyboards.

o

Avitar

Here is a link that might be useful: avitar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here