Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
quotes 4 - 30 -13

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 0:44

The sound of the mandolin is a very curious sound because it's cheerful and melancholy at the same time, and I think it comes from that shadow string, the double strings.
Rita Dove

To love someone is to isolate him from the world, wipe out every trace of him, dispossess him of his shadow, drag him into a murderous future. It is to circle around the other like a dead star and absorb him into a black light.
Jean Baudrillard

The light of lights looks always on the motive, not the deed, the shadow of shadows on the deed alone.
William Butler Yeats

Shadow is a colour as light is, but less brilliant; light and shadow are only the relation of two tones.
Paul Cezanne

Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow.
Aesop

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: quotes 4 - 30 -13

Interesting quotes! The second one is downright scary, but it is the wording more than the concept, it sounds so dire.
The light and the shadow are both part of the same, it's the yin and the yang and one cannot exist without the other;
You really got me thinking this morning, have not even had a whole cup of coffee yet and type with one hand - cat on my lap

o
RE: quotes 4 - 30 -13

I agree, the second has some scary words and I don't know about the concept.
Jean Baudrillard , was french and perhaps something got lost in the translation.
I The Paul Cezanne quote speaks to me. But in reality my experiments with colors and shadows have been abject failures. My hat to all artists.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here