Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunday April 22, 2012

Posted by coconut-nj 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 1:26

Happy Earth Day! It's been widely said that in 1970 over 20 million Americans celebrated that first Earth Day in some fashion or other. Many did simple things like plant something, and over a million showed up in Washington to celebrate. A real boon to environmental consciousness worldwide, that's impacted us to this day.

This week I celebrate Earth Day and The Environment. Hope you enjoy the quotes.

Photobucket

Everything is connected. Connectivity is going to be the key to addressing these issues, like contaminants and climate change. They're not just about contaminants on your plate. They're not just about the ice depleting. They're about the issue of humanity. What we do every day -- whether you live in Mexico, the United States, Russia, China ... can have a very negative impact on an entire way of life for an entire people far away from that source.

- Sheila Watt-Cloutier, Inuit activist

There would be very little point in my exhausting myself and other conservationist themselves in trying to protect animals and habitats if we weren't at the same time raising young people to be better stewards.

- Dr. Jane Goodall Primatologist, ethologist and anthropologist

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunday April 22, 2012

That sometimes citydwellers don't get how things interconnect in nature I can halfway understand. But you even have farmers who think if it does not happen in their back forty it is of no consequence. So the ocean level rises an inch - what difference does it make! The ocean never will get to here. What has the deforestatin in the Amazon have to do with anything, etc. etc. As long as it does not affect people right now, this minute, they don't care.

I'm of my soapbox, excuse me please. Just had yesterday one of those hit your head against the wall days on that subject.

o

Good morning, good Earth-Day! Anneliese, I feel your pain, this hitting head against the wall, it hurts.

o

Take heart, the tree huggers/planters are out in force in CA. I went to a hardware/garden store today, they had a parking lot tent sale of trees and all that's needed to plant a tree. The lot was full and the lines long at check out.
I went there to buy some herbs, but the wild tree huggers were in a frenzy so I'll go back tomorrow.
Have you hugged a tree lately? I gave my Naval Orange tree a "you go girl" this morning.

o

It really poured here all day. In fact it just slowed up now. I gave all the indoor plants a pep talk and worked on some recycling and reusing. Smiles.

Anneliese, I get into those discussions around here too, with farmers. We have Farmland Preservation and a lot of farmers defend those who sell their land to the developers saying preservation won't make a difference... ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here