Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsgym_gw

Replacement solar light stakes

mrsgym
14 years ago

I'm on my second set of solar lights by Malibu. The plastic stakes have broken, and I can replace them by ordering more plastic stakes from the company, but I'd prefer not to have more of the same. Can anyone suggest a metal alternative? What have you done when your stakes broke? This is not a common problem with all my lights, but I live in Michigan and I like to leave the lights in the ground all year. I think the freezing of the ground cracks the plastic.

Comments (9)

• west_gardener
    14 years ago

It sounds like you need some metal stakes for the weather in Michigan. It also sounds like you have some solar lights (stakes) that are made for the CA climate (Malibu).If the base of your lights are made of plastic,I don't know how to fuse metal to plastic.

Hmmmm, I'd start all over again, and buy solar lights made for your climate.

• gabriell_gw
    14 years ago

I would not have solar lights again, mine were a gift. I have found on really overcast days they don't come on or maybe only a few.Also I have a number of very tall Pine trees which sometimes shade a few.The solar ones are not as affective as the electical ones I have had on my back patio. They havea timer and come on and go off on their on.
    Much more reliable.

• calliope
    14 years ago

Unfortunately, those same plastic lights are sold in all fifty states, and are carried not only by the box stores, but independents. I had a set around my pond years ago and when the plastic started to disintegrate, they ended up in boxes in my cellar. UV rays are the worst culprit on plastics, and actually you're more likely to get that kind of abuse in the southern states than the northern ones. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate plastic anythings?

• posieh
    14 years ago

Even the replacement bulbs you can buy prove to be no good. These lights seen to work some places but mine barely lasted a year. I chalked it up to a "lesson learned" and money wasted.

• mwoods
    14 years ago

We had them in our driveway for several years and they worked beautifully,until I backed over both of them. Thanks for the reminder to get a few more.

• meldy_nva
    14 years ago

The quality of solar lights is all over the place... mostly for the worse. However, I've had great luck with a couple varieties; no problems with dim or short-time lights. Link is to my present lights. They or located on the north side of the house, the battery charger gets only the morning and noon sun.

mrsgym, try using rebar instead of stakes. A handyman should be able to cut the 5' length in half and then bend a loop in one end. Or use plood, buried deep enough to be below the frost-line.

Here is a link that might be useful: dual solar lights

• west_gardener
    14 years ago

The rebar suggestion is great. Have lights you like but the stake is bad, do a rebar. Thanks Meldy.

• dee626
    11 years ago

I think I will go to the hardware store and buy some PVC pipe that will slide inside the solar light post and put it in the ground, then slide the light down over it. Should last a long time, we'll see.

Sponsored
More Discussions