Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anneliese_32

Quote, 02/22/11

anneliese_32
12 years ago

We abuse the land because we regard it as commodity belonging to us. When we see land as community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.

Aldo Leopold

Earth Day is the first holy day and it is devoted to the harmony of nature. The celebration offends no historical calender, yet it transcends them all.

Margaret Mead

Comments (5)

• lilod
    12 years ago

Excellent quotes, Anneliese

• kathyjane
    12 years ago

The first quote, esp.---So right! Thank you, Anne!
    That's how it was when I lived in the woods. I was living in sacred space and respected that, paid my dues, and learned so much.

---It also reminds me of hearing the crows sounding off yesterday---I rested on the shovel and started looking for the Red Tail or the Coopers---imagine my eyes getting big as saucers as I watched a full grown gorgeous Red Fox go trotting down the 'back forty' maybe 35' from me. I KNEW there was a Fox or something---Georgie-Porgie has come streaking back to the house a number of times--I thought it was the huge Groundhog or the small Grey Fox we usually only see some nights in winter. I couldn't get over how tall the Red was---I had goosebumps; he was so majestic---every movement was fluid.
    I hope the cats continue to give him a wide berth...

• don_socal
    12 years ago

Great quotes, hope we can find the harmony with nature that will continue our presence here before nature strikes back then takes a couple millenniums to recover without us.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Great quotes for Earth Day -- or any day, for that matter.

I wasn't thinking about doing it in honor of Earth Day, but planted two (2) plugs of Zoysia grass (out of 100!) that I received from Fed Ex, today. Our small lawn had taken such a beating from the blizzard(s) in the winter and the drought in the summer (2010) that I thought why not give it a try? I don't mind the fact that Zoysia turns yellow in cold weather, and if it will survive and grow, I'll be pleased. I only planted two plugs, b/c the rains are descending again, but I wanted to be able to say I had started, anyway. Believe me, one inch squares of grass aren't very big! Glad I didn't order 400 of them!

• kathyjane
    12 years ago

Mwheel, one of my children have a generous spot of Zoysia grass in their yard. Her husband always uased it for the 'Knock Down the Baby Place' when the kids were little.
    They never once were ever hurt when they hit the ground because it's so soft! ---Yes, they got to knock down their Dad, too!!!
    The yellow in the winter isn't hard on the eye, it adds a change in texture on bleak days, also!
    In the heat of summer, it's hardier than the rest of the grasses.

Hope you have some help planting them thar plugs! :o)