Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_socal

Remember the wisteria I worked on last year?

don_socal
11 years ago

Last June I rebuilt the structure and my step son poured the new patio. The September before I trimmed the deadwood out and cleaned it up.

{{gwi:152770}}

{{gwi:152771}}

{{gwi:152771}}

{{gwi:152774}}

{{gwi:152777}}

{{gwi:152779}}

{{gwi:152781}}

Comments (14)

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Now that is a beauty. How old do you think the wisteria is? It looks ancient, judging by the trunk. Love your patio, wished I had it.

• don_socal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a customer that is also a friend through numerous plant societies and Mater Gardeners where I teach the tree class. Have known her for 30 years of her 88 and the wisteria she planted over 50 years ago.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

That wisteria is a treasure; rebuilding the structure around/under the "vine"--more like a tree!--must have been had work. I hate to show my gardening ignorance, but is it possible that the flowers are from this year? They are beautiful.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Don I remember your post from last year and oh wow, you did a great job. It is a beauty. As I recall you posted some pics back then.
    This would be a perfect example of before and after.
    A master at work.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Don, that was supposed to be "hard" work (in my earlier post)--and I know it was. I agree with westgardner, it's a beauty.

• mwoods
    11 years ago

That is just beautiful and I can only imagine the fragrance when sitting underneath your pergola. You and Missy have turned you propertyi into an Eden.

• oscarthecat
    11 years ago

Wow! what a project.

• gloriam
    11 years ago

I have a wisteria Brush in my back yard at my pond. It isn't blooming yet but starting. I love wisteria, and will post a picture when it blooms.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I've tried to grow Wisteria here in the valley (zone 10-11) but it did not work and I've been told that it is not a good climate here.
    A fellow up the street is growing a "false" Wisteria and it looks just like a "real" Wisteria.
    Below is a link to a page with photos of American as opposed to Asian Wisteria. Lol, I'm confused.
    Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Here is a link that might be useful: American Wisteria

• tibs
    11 years ago

absolutely beautiful and inspiring

• petaloid
    11 years ago

That is just lovely!

• calliope
    11 years ago

Gorgeous, just gorgeous. I have a love/hate relationship with my wisteria.

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

We made a mistake with our wisteria. It was an old one that grew up into two young pine trees. It was also smothering any new growth on the trees. We decided to do the trees a favor and cut down, and dug a lot of root of the vine.

Ha! That wisteria had roots that went everywhere on our lot and even though it's been about 15 years now, we are still getting rid of wisteria shoots everywhere.

So, my advice to wisteria owners is.....don't make it mad. Treat it kindly, and maybe it will stay in one place.

Don, that's a great display. I envy.

• gloriam
    11 years ago

Don, may I ask what state you live in? My husband built me a
    small pergola that held my wood swing. We had a trump vine in the front yard and moved it out back where the pergola was, the trump vine was so beautiful but it grew everywhere, under the pool in the pond, but it was growing just everywhere. So we got rid of it I hope. Being careful as I believe the wisteria could also get like that.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions