Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A little taste of spring

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 10:06

Too bad I am not able to transmit the aroma, but sending you a bouquet. All you folks East of me, it will come your way, patience :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A little taste of spring

I can smell them. I can hardly wait until ours bloom.

o

Wish I could smell them instead of sewage.
Had a midnight party. Husband got me out of bed, toilet had flowed over. Cleaned up, trip per foot at 1 AM to Walmart to get auger and new plunger. Gave up after water came through downstairs ceiling. Called plummer in the morning. Took 4 calls until somebody said he would come. What a mess, but he was very nice and cleaned up after himself and washed the floor and wiped down the ceiling downstairs.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 19:21

Lilo, thanks for the lovely picture; they're lilacs, aren't they?

Anneliese, you have my sympathy; overflowing toilets are awful at any time, but the awfulness is compounded in the middle of the night.

o

Nice flowers, but what are they?
anneliese, oh what a night you had, such a bummer.
Glad you were able to get the problem fixed.
. We also have an auger and plunger handy, because sh@@t happens, and it has happened.
When I need a "fresh" scent in the house, I use
Eucalyptus leaves, dried or fresh.

o

WG, here they are "on the hoof" so to speak, Lilacs

o

Beautiful plant.

o

Thanks for the info and additional photo, lilo.
I looked up "lilac" on the National Garden Asso. and came away with two possible plants for my hardiness zone of 8b.

Syringa laciniata
Syringa meyeri

What zone are you?

o

WG - I am in the twilight zone: Summer - no rain at all, days 90 - 100º nights fifties, sometimes colder
Winter - days when sunny about fifties, sixties - nights when clear in the twenties or lower.
I am in Sunset 14, which is more accurate than the USDA zone, but have a micro-climate within that zone
All I know I could not grow lilac in Southern California, they grow but don't bloom, they need some winter-chill for that.

o

lol at the " twilight zone". Looks like some of us can identify with that this year.
I'd like to have a lilac bush, but I'm not sure it would do well here in the valley.
Thanks for sharing yours.

o

Across the street is a lilac bush which blooms almost every year; mine, bought at the same time and the same nursery did not thrive, Difference, she has morning sun and I have noon to evening sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here