Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do rabbits eat peas?

Posted by mwoods (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 10:36

Every year bar none there is always a surprise somewhere in the garden and I'm sure all of you with gardens know exactly what i'm talking about. I just dug up my pea patch, poked in the brush and planted the peas. This is a large rectangular area and I always leave the middle area alone and mulched with the leaves that are already there. when I finished planting, I noticed the leaves moving around so knew something was under there. Sure enough,it was a rabbit nest with babies sqealing for their milk. I covered them back up and they quieted down waiting for mama to stop her foraging and come and feed them. This usually happens somewhere or other in the gardens and but never in the vegetable garden. When they are finally hippy hopping around,do you think they'll eat my peas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do rabbits eat peas?

Probably not without a good cream sauce. Steve in Baltimore County.

o

Let's just say that Mama wabbit knew what she was doing when she had her babies there.

o

Yes, rabbits eat peas...but i've had rabbits breeding in the garden that didn't bother them...instead, the slugs ate 'em. I know because I was out there with a flashlight and a bottle of ammonia water curdling the little slimeballs. The little fuzzbunnies were such good hiders, i'd be picking beans or weeding and almost touch one before i saw those big brown eyes.

Where I live now, they've eaten pea sprouts (and green bean sprouts) at times, sometimes they left them for the deer. This year, I have three dogs, which should put a stop to resident rabbits and derelict deer...so i suppose the slugs are queing up already, just waiting for sprouts...sigh.

o

Marda, I'm trying to find something that rabbits won't eat.

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 21:38

I once fenced a nest of bunnies into the garden with my broccoli and lettuce. Couldn't figure out why they kept being eaten when I had fenced them in. Not sure how Momma bun bun got in to feed them, but either my fence wasn't as secure as I had hoped or the bunnies were subsisting on broccoli and Romaine.
To answer your question....you bet your bippy they eat peas!
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here