Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
offering of Rocks

Posted by e5097 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 12:23

I just moved to the Shore area of New Jersey. I'm attempting, with this being the first time I've ever had a yard, to plant my garden in the front of my house. The previous owners filled the yard with white rocks, if anyone would like them, for free, please let me know and you may have them. I also would like to know if anyone can tell me the name of a plant, it's all leaves. Just big leaves. When they came out of the ground they looked like little horns. I don't know what they are called but they look great with the tulips that are in the yard. I would like to add more, but I don't know what to buy. Any assistance would be great!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: offering of Rocks

I'll put a link below to garden club in your state -- someone who lives nearby might be able to look at your mystery plant and identify it.

The Long Beach Island branch is in the Shore area, and maybe others as well.

Some of the local garden club members may want your white rocks too:

Here is a link that might be useful: New Jersey Garden Clubs

o

They have a place here on Garden Web called Name that Plant. Link below. Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Name that plant

o

Are you talking about hostas? If so, most are shade lovers, so be aware what you're planting where.

Good luck getting rid of your rocks. The previous owners of our home used a lot as "mulch" (which is both ugly and pointless, IMO) and I had a dickens of a time trying to find someone to take them off my hands. I ended up finding a neighbor with equally misguided gardening ideas and delivered them by the wheelbarrow to her. Your best bet is probably posting it on a local Freecycle board.

Take your time in making changes to your yard. You may be chomping at the bit to personalize it, but this can be disastrous before you understand the sunlight and drainage patterns and the soil quality on your property. Neighbors with gardens you admire and local botanical gardens are great places to learn about what blooms how, when, and where before you invest time, money, and backpower into redoing your yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here