Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_socal

Weather report

don_socal
9 years ago

10 day forecast, is this really April /May showers/ flowers?

Saturday 04/26
69� : 51�

Sunday 04/27
74� : 53�

Monday 04/28
84� : 59�

Tuesday 04/29
94� : 61�
Wednesday 04/30
95� : 61�
Thursday 05/01
95� : 61�

Friday 05/02
95� : 60�

Saturday 05/03
87� : 58�

Sunday 05/04
82� : 56�

Monday 05/05
77� : 55�

Comments (19)

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

No showers in the forecast? Looks like you might have to do a lot of watering.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

We had a shower, day before last, and another is predicted for tomorrow. But after that the forecast is pretty much what you posted, except about 5 degrees lower than you posted, Don.
    It has been an unusual weather year.
    We have had water use warnings in counties up and down the south bay,
    I'm rethinking keeping my lawns, both front and back.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Yesterday morning we had a hard freeze, likely the last one of the season. It's been raining, sometimes real cloudbursts, sometimes small hail for the last ten days, after today it's going to climb into the eighties and maybe low nineties, so instead of the wood-stove the cooler will be doing it's job and we shall use the grill.
    Actually it was pretty much a "normal " for us, we call it rainbow weather.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Yesterday morning we had a hard freeze, likely the last one of the season. It's been raining, sometimes real cloudbursts, sometimes small hail for the last ten days, after today it's going to climb into the eighties and maybe low nineties, so instead of the wood-stove the cooler will be doing it's job and we shall use the grill.
    Actually it was pretty much a "normal " for us, we call it rainbow weather.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Gandle, I hope today's weather in Nebraska left you alone.

• don_socal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Next week looks rough...

Monday 05/12
    92ð : 64ð

Tuesday 05/13
    98ð : 67ð

Wednesday 05/14
    102ð : 66ð

Thursday 05/15
    103ð : 64ð

Friday 05/16
    93ð : 62ð

Saturday 05/17
    92ð : 61ð

Sunday 05/18
    91ð : 60ð

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Don, next week does look 'rough', indeed. Hope your A/C is in good running condition. You're going to need it! :-(

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Oh my, that sure looks rough.
    I looked up our weather and it is not nearly as hot as your, just a couple of days in the 90.
    I have reserved the right to "whine" when it get's hot. Feel free to join me.
    Take care.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

We are having a heat wave, and it is hot, hot, hot.
    Whine..................

"They" say it is as hot as in 1976 and I remember that year because my Tante Marit, from Norway (cool weather) was visiting and we went to all kinds of celebrations of our (usa birtday), and she was wondering how on earth we survived the weather
    We can survive this weather, we've done it before.

This post was edited by west_gardener on Tue, May 13, 14 at 19:37

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Almost 90 yesterday and 40 tonight. What a swing of temps. I had some veggies on the deck getting them ready to plant. They're back inside under the grow lights.

My problem now is that number of shrubs that did not make it through our rotten winter. One, Rose of Sharon, is beautiful. Not one leaf came out. Another, Little Henry Itea, is just now sending out a couple of leaves - at least 30 days late. Both of those have been in those spots for several years. Newly planted shrubs are doing OK. Go figure!

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

It hit the middle nineties by noon and stayed that way - humidity dropped to 14%, there was a breeze, fire danger is extreme.
    I have the little a/c running, it keeps the house @ 80.
    I'm cooking dinner, making a meatloaf, cooking it in the toaster oven.
    Joann had a 10 hour shift at the feed-store, means a lot of dragging hay-bales and toting 50# and more sacks of feed, so I should not complain.
    Tomorrow it's said to be hotter and then it will drop back to the eighties or so - I hope

• don_socal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Have VA appointments Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week so will be in Long Beach close to the ocean. Still like an oven there as the SA winds are blowing the desert air over all of the basin. Missy will be watering and hopefully have a helper.

The trip to LB on the bus requires three bus changes and takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours each way but gas is $15 to $20 while the bus is $1.50 for the whole day.

Need to get a small motor scooter that gets 80 mpg or better so it will only take a half hour each way. Of course then I will not meet so many interesting people.

• don_socal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lots of sirens, something is burning 3 or 4 blocks north of us, a house and or yard. Ashes floating down all over, high fire warnings in effect.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

It's 100 and counting @ 2:52 pm. pacific time.
    I'm coping with the A/C going full blast.
    I hope all is well with the other heatwave suffers.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Yesterday 89 degr. Right now 70 and falling and we are under tornado watch.
    As to blooming and not blooming: the dogwoods bloomed heavily and the Chinese dogwood blooms for the first time well, it was planted 6 years ago. Last year it had 7 blooms.
    My three hydrangeas (mop, oakleaf and miniature) have just a few stems showing life. The run of the mill blue irises, which refused to bloom the last couple of years, are blooming but the Iris cristata, which are local wildflowers, rescued from a building side 38 years ago and have given us yearly a spectacular blue carpet show, had just a couple of blooms at their 3 locations.

Don, I hope you stay safe, the pictures on TV are horrible.

You too, Lilo. We seem to have our A/Cs at the same setting.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

anneliese, I'm so impressed about your knowledge about your plants and trees.

• don_socal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just got home from the VA, have to be there tomorrow at 6:30 so leave at 4:00. 7:30 here and still 104.

• don_socal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are fires way south of us and way, way north of us but nothing closer than 70 miles. The fire in Cucamonga/Etiwanda is 100% contained and it was the closest, about 40 miles. that is where my friend lives and they likely had to evacuate. Will check with him this weekend.

Here is a link that might be useful: fire map

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Jim-1, I'll take your 40 at night. We are between 60-70, No time to cool down until the heat starts again.

Sponsored
More Discussions