Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too much information is not alway good.

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 12:38

I don't know how it is where you live, but the obituaries in the newspaper are getting fancy here. They go on an on about what the person has done. I know this may be interesting and comforting to a lot of people, but sometimes it gets a laugh.

For example. One recent obit mentioned, amony a zillion other things, that he had been a subsitute school bus driver when he was sixteen. Another mentioned that the person had passed away, "at home, in his recliner."

One thing that I do like is that they have started listing the names of the person's pets as survivors. Don't know how the doggie or kitty feels, but it shows how important the pet is in the family.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too much information is not alway good.

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 14:45

What I've noticed is that since the local paper started charging for obituaries, there are more "death notices" for which there is no charge. They contain just the basic information about the person and name of funeral home and services.

In the Sunday paper, there is usually an extended obituary about someone with a picture or two and commentary from friends and relatives. I imagine this is a fee-based article, also. This sounds like what you described, Agnes.

o

---I always notice if the pets are mentioned---makes me feel like they might still be taken care of.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 21:42

Listing accomplishments is important to some. I've already told dh not obit, no service. Cremate me and say goodbye.

o

I think a paid obit is a good idea. It gives the family a chance to write about their loved one in their own way. Perhaps it should be called something other than an obit.

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 8:44

yes, our obits are like that now. Very long and detailed and unfortuntely poorly written. I wish the paper would proof them so they wouldn't have such glaring grammer mistakes. We get quite a few that have a strong religious overtone. My father did not have much use for people who were over zealous about their believes. I use to tell him I was going to write one of those over the top sleeping in the arms of the angels type obit. It would get a laugh out of him.

o

• Posted by pamven z5neastindiana (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 14:46

Ours are either long and windy or short and brief. My favorite was a short one with a small bit of personal info that stated the departed "enjoyed the highlife". Knowing the departed id say that was an understatement.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 15:27

Our local weekly prints the obits from information furnished by family. As this is a small town, and many of the departed are old-timers and everyone knows them, it is actually pretty personal and they all have a gazillion relatives living in town or in the County.
The primary obit/death notice it put up on the door of the Post-Office with a picture and frequently an invitation the a "celebration of the life" either in the village hall, ,or in another public place, sometimes in Boomer's Saloon.
Funny personal anecdote: Running across an acquaintance I had not seen for quite some time he said: "You are still around?" I told him I supposed I was, hadn't seen my picture on the P.O. door yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here