Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New resident(s) in the pond

Posted by lilosophie CA/State of Confusio (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 15:44

Joan discovered it yesterday, a big splash drew her attention - it was a River Otter!
We have a surplus of cat-fish, so thinning them out is a good thing, don't know what will happen when they are al eaten.
Joann got a picture of the beastie, I only saw it under water, it hides in the brush - maybe there are more than one, we don't know.
They are fast and a bit furtive.
Currently ducks of all sorts are visiting,, on their way from migration back to their breeding grounds, so there is quite a bit of traffic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New resident(s) in the pond

Love river and sea otters, but no river otters around here.
If I would be in your place, between the otters and the ducks I would not get anything done.

o

Yes, Anneliese, you are right, I spent a lot of time this morning (22º), big flannel bathrobe over warm PJ's, standing on the deck with binoculars, trying to spot it or them, until the cold crept up, and then I moved to the big slider, still a decent view...

o

It is always interesting and somewhat concerning when new animals come into the neighborhood. We live in the burbs.
Like when a huge crane landed by our spa, a mole was tunneling through our lawn, ducks seem to migrate toward swimming pools, a deer wandered down from the hills into our streets. According to the notes posted on telephone poles, a mountain lion was wandering around our streets.

o

West Gardener - they were there first, sometimes I think they want to take their territory back :)
Animal's "Occupy" movement

o

And they are still here. Back when, there was a small two way lane going from SF to SJ , where 280 is now. We were used to seeing deer standing in the road and drove at low speeds. After 280 was built, the deer still cross that road and 280 to get to their old haunts. Although there are many "dear crossing" signs, people whiz by at 60+mph, and there have been hits and near misses. Sometimes, I wish I could halt "progress" and give them back their safe crossings.

o

Little clowns they are, saw lots in Monterey bay when I lived there, smart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here