Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posieh_gw

Where do folks live?

posieh
12 years ago

I'm wonering why folks don't tell where they live? I go to

their "My Page" and 99 % of people say they live in the United States. Why not say I live in Dayton, Ohio or Southern Ohio or center of Kansas or Northern New York or Minneapolis, MN ? That would give us a clue about your weather and gardens and other events that effect you. Please?

Comments (20)

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Hi. good idea. I have lived here in Baltimore County Maryland for 49 yrs. Really good years of my life.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

We live in CA, in the Bay Area, aka Silicon Valley. I don't feel safe enough to name my city. No reflection on the GP, just the net in general.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

That I live in Ky everybody here knows, as to where, I agree with West gardener, it's not the GP but the net in general. Once burned....

• lilosophie
    12 years ago

I live in Northern California near the metropolis of Laytonville (Pop 1200, give or take a few). I am not afraid to say this, no one can find me anyway, even if they have my street address (which has 3 aka's) and they have GPS. If someone had a contract out for me, they would be totally out of luck :>)

• User
    12 years ago

Southern Calif. as it says in my name, easy to find but no one interested except the mail man giving appointment notices.

• agnespuffin
    12 years ago

I think the United States is an automatic fill-in if you don't fill in any info. Just like the Birthday of Jan.1.

I know I didn't put anything in. I live in the hot, humid state of Georgia....maybe that's why I'm cranky. Long hot summer coming up and not much winter to remember.

There's so much info that's accidently given on the forums. Maybe it's better not to give too much.

I go to one forum, and after reading many posts from one ditzy woman, I got to thinking about all the things she said about her house, surroundings, etc.. I think she lives just a few blocks from me!!!

• lilosophie
    12 years ago

Agnespuffin, that's funny!

• mwoods
    12 years ago

Out in the country North of Philadelphia

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Here's a list I made and shared 11-18-11; these were people who were posting at that time..
    anneliese_32 6
    batya Israel north 8-9-10
    don_socal socal
    endorphinjunkie z7bAlabama
    gabriell 8a Tyler,Texas
    gandle 4 NE female half of gandle Nebraska
    gardenkat tropical
    janis_g z7GA north Georgia.
    jazmynsmom Z5 Madison-ish Madison, WI.
    kris_zone6 Eastern Washington State
    lilosophie California, in the rural North
    lindie_mi west Michigan
    lisa_h 7 OK OKC,
    meldy_nva northern Virginia
    minnie_tx
    mwheel East. WV-Z.6 Panhandle of West Virginia
    oscarthecat z7MD Baltimore County Maryland.
    posieh 3 North-Central Minnesota
    purpleinopp 8b AL AL, just north of FL,
    rob333 Nashvillean
    west_gardener CA, silicon valley. lindie_mi

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Thanks, Minnie, for posting the list. I thought I had already posted about my location at an earlier time, so didn't want to repeat myself--something I do much too frequently! :>)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Yep. That's me. Nashville! and other parts of middle Tennessee for the past 40 or so years.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Gosh, lilod. I thought you had moved, lol.

Posted by: lilosophie State of Confusion on Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 11:30

• lilosophie
    12 years ago

West Gardener - I do think California is the State of Confusion - I have a friend in Arizona who calls his State the "State of Disbelief"

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

When Garden Party was first begun, MyPage did accept specific locales; when Village took over, the specific locales/city names seem to disappear during the reorganization. I did try to update MyPage at that time, but quit after several non-successes. I agree that there is now a concern about privacy (or the invasion of privacy) that didn't seem to exist back in 'the old days'.

I'm still in Northern Virginia, still in zone 6b, still getting older, creakier, and crankier. And still gardening; and my garden and DH's garden are still known as "yours" and "mine".

• posieh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. Wow! That's so interesting. Nice to know where folks live. Want to let you know that night before last we had about 7-8 inches of snow. Some areas received more and even required the snow plows to be out! In March we had some days in the 60's and 70's. Today it's gone except in the ditches. Ruined the apple crop as they were all in bloom. Mother Nature cannot be programed!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Still snow?! Wow I feel bad for you, but you can feel bad for me in July & August.

Anyone been to Opp AL, or even through? I moved here 5 years ago from central OH.

I thought this was going to be a question about neighborhood types. Our house under a giant pecan and oak tree is about 70-80 years old in an older neighborhood where they used to just put straightish streets and build houses on them, not housing developments with curvy roads and few entrances/exits. We live less than a mile from "downtown" but it's a small town with dirt rods equally as close. There are other houses to the sides and behind, with a now-bypassed state highway where our street ends out front, businesses on the other side of the road.

What's your setting like?

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Purple, is that the Opp that has the Rattlesnake Festival? On our first trip to FL in 1995, we spent the night, there, not knowing how close we were to where we were going! It was a nice little town--we took a walk in the evening, but when I heard the next morning at the local diner that Opp had a rattlesnake festival--evem though it was several months' away--I was ready to leave town! (Since then, we found more direct routes, so have not been back!)

DH and I are retirees/transplants from the D.C. area and live in a housing development such as you described. Except for two thru streets, every one is a "court" or "dead end"; makes it great for kids to play and walking. The development is located right off an interstate exit, so getting places is pretty easy.

Posie, I was impressed by the 7-8" of snow; sorry it ruined the apple crop.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Yes, unfortunately that's what Opp is known for, the Rattlesnake Rodeo. They catch 'em, race 'em, then eat 'em. Yeeha!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

I've never eaten rattlesnake. Hm.

I live in a medium sized city, pretty much in the city. I'm right smack in the middle of easy access to two major roads, and the interstate for every direction. It's 5 or 10 minutes to downtown and about 20-30 minutes to the airport. I don't think, even if I had the money to buy a house (instead of renting), I would move farther out. I am near everything I want to see and do. From hockey, to work, to play, the symphony, restaurants, grocery stores, the theater, fantastic schools from the best high schools in the nation-to ivy league university, and of course, all genres of music.. you name it... it's all right here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiplinger number 3 top city in 2011

• husky004_
    12 years ago

I live in Upstate NY outside of Buffalo about 30 minutes from Niagara Falls.

Sponsored
More Discussions