Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck stains

Posted by shilty 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 17:11

Hello folks!

Its time to stain the deck - been shopping - need to know what your experience is - always know you folks know what is what.

By your experience, which may be the longer lasting stain, Behr, Olmypic, or Cabot?

I don't wanna do this more than I have to - will work hard on it, and want to know the stain I choose will work just as hard.

Please respond - quote your neighbors, or whatever you can - I have to make a decision!

s

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck stains

Do not have any decks but have a bench made of teak wood the we coat with hot linseed oil every year then wipe off the excess.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 10:26

I have redwood decks, built in '65, when redwood was still affordable and they have never been stained or treated in any way, have aged to a grayish tone, look old and worn, but just right to me. Extreme heat in summer and so much rain in winter would make a stained deck always needing work, so I am happy with my decision

o

I've never had a deck so I'm not able to speak to that point of view. But I've used Behr products and I like them very much. A cyber friend, who has built several decks, mostly in the CO area swears by Thompson's water seal.See link below. Whatever you choose, make sure the stain and sealant are compatible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck Sealant

o

I don't know if this will be of interest:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/porch/msg0923184828415.html
Note the emphasis on prepping the deck.

A friend used a polymerized tung oil on all exposed wood, it looks good so far but is only two years old. OTOH, there seems to be a lot of annual upkeep with most finishes, so maybe two-three years is okay. BTW, Tung oil is a penetrating finish, as opposed to a surface finish such as paint. In cabinet woodworking, pure tung oil is noted for taking a long time to dry (we're talking many days) but the polymerized tung is reasonably quick to dry, depending on the version, usually within a day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here