Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anneliese_32

What's blooming?

anneliese_32
11 years ago

The late daffodils which I planted in December.

Grape Hyacints

Violets and Bluets

Assorted flowering weeds

Irises

Sweet Williams

Moss Phlox

Red Honeysuckle

Dogwoods

Lilac

Oaks (Reminder to myself - buy helmet if the acorns are as prolific as the blooms)

The beeches have shed their last brown leaves from last year 3 days ago.

That's just my and a neighbor's backyard, have not gone on a nature ramble yet.

Comments (3)

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

Dogwood
    wild honeysuckle
    amaryllis
    Lady Banks roses
    late blooming camilleas
    late blooming azaleas
    Chinaberry Trees
    All sorts of evergreen hedge type bushes like viburnum

The nicest things are the wildflowers that were sown on the banks of the overpasses to one of our parkways. I have no idea as to what they are, but they are just beginning to do their stuff and I'm betting it will be quite a show soon.

The trees are filling out with their new spring growth. There are at least 50 million different shades of green.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

In my yard, both the orange and lemon trees are blooming and bearng fruit at the same time. The "umbrella tree" is putting out beautiful pink flowers.
    The colorful azelias are blooming, out front, along with the white candy tufts. We planted some red and white "super elfin" Impatients to compliment the color palate.
    The mexican heather is putting out flowers after the frost we had earlier this year.
    Lol, my parsley is blooming, OK, bolting. The rosemary is blooming in pretty blue flowers, the oregano does not show any flowers, but it is growing like a weed.

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

Just about everything listed above, except for WestG's assortment. Not already mentioned:

The wisterias ~ and they seem to be everywhere. Places that I never realized had them are draped with the lavender-purple blooms, even along neglected roadsides. Also showing off are all the cherry and plum trees with double-blossoms. The redbud trees seem to be especially full and make a striking contrast to all the pink shades.

The bluebells seem to have a stem for every leaf, forming lakes that are bluer than the sky. They are especially notable because in past years they have bloomed consistently around May 8th; this year they began about March 20th.

I find it curious that the azaleas seem to be holding to their usual schedule or even a bit later, just now opening blossoms. The muscari and tulips are also on their usual timing. Some years ago, a friend gave me a pot of brilliant red tulips, (which btw, usually do not do well in our clayey soil and normally overwinter only a couple years). DH plopped the bulbs into the bed with the bluebells and butterfly daffies, saying they'd provide some color after the daffies and before the bluebells. Sure enough, they've done that for the past 8 or 9 years, blooming in mid-April. This year, since early March, that bed has been a mass of color with everything seeming to bloom at once: purple and pink hyacinths, daffs in bright yellow with touches of white or orange, deep purple muscari, sky-bluebells, and now the red tulips. Looks like someone tossed a giant's box of crayons instead of carefully planning consecutive colors. The azaleas will have to paint April and May without the bulbs.

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro
More Discussions