Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taking a break

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 18:32

Leone has me digging up about half of a rather large flower bed. Both nimblewill and bent grass have become pests and I have to use a spading fork and theen carefully make sure the weeds and their roots are out of the soil but, as I was digging I remembered the names of two towns in Nebraska. One I would have liked to have graduated from high school there, the town was Harvard. Would have liked to say that I was a Harvard graduate and the other town is named Colon, yes Colon. Can you imagine the remarks you would get if you said I lived in Colon.

I was in boot camp with a fellow from Colon and tthe bad jokes were constant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taking a break

SNORT! SNORT!
COLON??!!!!
That poor guy!

gandle, if you get bored working on that bed, I have TONS of Wiregrass invading beds you can have a go at!
Do you like PIZZA? :o)
KJ
(You be careful out there!)

o

Harvard? Ah yes! My father-in-law studied and learned a lot at Harvard. He was born there in fact. The family left Nebraska for Ga. when he was quite young.

We don't have wiregrass, but you are welcome to come and help the Husband Guy dig out the Betony and bermuda grass.

o

Oh, how the mind can wander when weeding and digging. Somehow your post reminded me of Intercourse, Pennsylvania, close to where DH grew up and close to where we used to live. My mind wanders in the garden during spring.

o

My enemy is crabgrass. Ky has some funny town/village names. Anybody wants to live in Monkey's Eyebrows?

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 20:38

West, I'm sure you know that you have to go thru Intercourse to get to Paradise? LOL

(Paradise is another small town in PA., not far from Intercourse.)

o

Texas has many towns with funny names, one is Bug Tussle.

o

Those flower beds are more work than they look, breaks needed. So many strangely named towns each with their own special history. Fun thoughts.

o

Kentucky always reminds me of my famous King reunion.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 11:48

My personal favorite: Hump Tulips, Washington. Gotta love it.

o

---Hey, Jan; mayhaps we could have a refresher reading of that there REunion?!
C'mon. :o)

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 14:57

My brother lives near Athol, Idaho. He says the town council just voted on a new name, .....for obvious reasons.
"What name did they decide on?", I asked.
He said, "Anus".
Mike

o

snort!

o

mwheel, yes, I remember Paradise.
Don mentioned that each had their own history. When our subdivision was built, on an apricot orchard, the names of the streets do not reflect the history of our town.

o

There's an Oblong and a Normal, both in south-central Illinois. So a few years ago there was the inevitable newspaper headline "Oblong man marries Normal woman."

Karen

o

Forgot to mention that Colon is near Wahoo Nebraska.

o

we've got What Cheer here in Iowa....as well as Brooklyn and Nevada, Madrid Tripoli and Buffalo.
And we have Manley and Fertile fairly near to each other....but a lot of miles from Dike.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here