Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It is a main path

Posted by lilosophie (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 19:09

There are the poppies (weeds) on the overgrown path, mixed with grasses, it needs to be weed-whacked but I am so reluctant to do it!
The poppies don't transplant at all. I am thinking to wait until they begin to set seed and then pull them - I have some area where I could just spread them and let them naturalize. They are just so pretty!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It is a main path

I love California Poppies. I tried to grow some right after we moved in an a bit of hill, used seed, but I think they did not like our clay.

As you said, I would wait until they set seed and then spread it where you want it, Good luck.

o

Very pretty,hard to think of them as a weed.

o

I miss them so! so good to see them again. Enjoy them enough for me. Gorgeous.

o

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 16:22

It's one of those spring things. Ya gotta know what they look like and then dig deep. Move as much as you can, including whatever root structure there is. Have the new spot the same size and depth as the dug out stuff. Move the old to the new and the new to the old. Water the first coupla weeks. You should get about 35% success.

o

I have volunteer CA poppies all over the place, even in my garden boxes, They are so pretty that I let them stay until they start to seed, then I'll pull them, but they come back the next year.

Lilo, I think you have right idea in how to grow some poppies to another place, BTW, I don't do any kind of preparation to the soil where the volunteers appear.
As an aside, in the 40 years we been in this house, I've found them in everywhere, except the lawn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here